How to promote breeding in angelfish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nik_n

Fish Crazy
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello. I have two angelfish which I raised up since they were babies. They have been showing some signs of pairing for about a month now. They play fight but they never hurt each other nor do they swim together. I was wondering if there is anything I could to do, to get them to breed. The temp of the tank is 27°, the ph is around 7.6, NH4, NO2, NO3 are all 0. There are 5 amazon sword plants which they can used to spawn.

It is unlikely (though certainly not impossible) that they are a mated pair. Angelfish are almost impossible to sex - so you'd need to somehow have gotten both a male and a female. Then - they'd have to like eachother enough to pair off.

Angelfish like it warm, they love foods like bloodworms and very clean water (as they are pretty voracious eaters).

I would definitely keep an eye on them - as it's possible the play fighting is actually a skirmish between two of the same sex. Angelfish do best in groups of 6-8 as they are very social fish.

Here is some good info from a highly respected angel breeder: https://angelsplus.com/pages/how-to...tanks are not needed,they may not feel secure.

I had 4 angelfish before but one died due to fungi 4 months ago. The other one (platinum) was constantly fighting with another one (koi) and I was pretty sure they were both males because, the were fighting quit roughly. In the end platinum just hid and refused to eat. The koi and another white one are the only remaining angelfish and I raised them from juveniles. Here are some picture. I'm pretty sure the koi is a male and the white one is a female, but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_20210407_145113.jpg
    IMG_20210407_145113.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20210407_145122.jpg
    IMG_20210407_145122.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 48
I mean, it's possible -- but again, it's nearly impossible to sex angelfish. They are not visually different.

If you have not yet, I would recommend reading the link I sent you - the only way to know is to get them to actually breed (if they are a pair) and watch while spawning to figure out which is which.

Typically they will spawn without any encouragement which is why I think that you may not have a pair.

Thanks for the link I have read it.
They are still young, about 7 months and I though angelfish will start to pair off and breed in around 9-12 months of age. Thats why I wasn't expecting any breeding just yet but I wanted to be sure that I can provide the best possible environment for them.
Thanks again

No problem.

I would keep a very close eye on them - if they are both males they can go from friends to killing each other over night. It's recommended to put 6-8 in a tank and let them establish a pecking order and pair off.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back