How to lower water hardness fast?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Raw84

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the forum and hobby. To keep a long story short, I've finished our fishless cycle and ordered new fish which are coming in 2 days. I've just realised I haven't checked the water hardness because I've focused on everything else. The GH is around 180 and KH around 80 which is way too high. My tap water is the same, what can I do to get it down quickly? I can't find RO water where I live and I've heard distilled water isn't great (this was what I was going to do) could I add something to the distilled water before putting it in? I'm in Western Australia. Thanks in advance.

Can you collect unpolluted rain water?

Or pure water is sold (at petrol stations) over here for cleaning cars/ windows etc.

Spring water might be a good option too. You cannot add anything to distilled water, as the minerals that fish need have been taken out.

Can you collect unpolluted rain water?

Or pure water is sold (at petrol stations) over here for cleaning cars/ windows etc.
Unfortunately we removed our rainwater tank years ago. I can buy pure water though so ill give that a try, thanks!

Spring water might be a good option too. You cannot add anything to distilled water, as the minerals that fish need have been taken out.
Ok thanks for the heads up! I'll get some tomorrow and test it before I do a water change, it's the one thing I completely forgot about.

There may not be a problem. We have the numbers--GH is 180 ppm [= 10 dH] and KH is 80 ppm [= 4 dKH] which will be fine for many species that incline to soft rather than hard water. So, what species of fish are you intending?

A second question just to be certain...are these numbers for the water direct from the water authority, i.e., not having gone through a water softener of some type in your home?

There may not be a problem. We have the numbers--GH is 180 ppm [= 10 dH] and KH is 80 ppm [= 4 dKH] which will be fine for many species that incline to soft rather than hard water. So, what species of fish are you intending?

A second question just to be certain...are these numbers for the water direct from the water authority, i.e., not having gone through a water softener of some type in your home?
Mate you're a lifesaver! I'm just learning about water hardness and got completely confused with the dh and dkh so my water parameters are in the right zone!

Mate you're a lifesaver! I'm just learning about water hardness and got completely confused with the dh and dkh so my water parameters are in the right zone!

What fish species?

What fish species?
Oh sorry, 2 Kribensis, 4 Mollies, 4 Platys, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 German Blue Rams, 3 Hillstream loaches, 7 Neon Tetras. Not all at once but that's the end goal, I would like your thoughts on it actually. From what I've researched they're in the right parameters and will work for the tank size which is a 180L. What I've been told an issue might be is when the blue rams and kribensis breed they can become territorial so to make sure I have enough hiding spots.

Oh sorry, 2 Kribensis, 4 Mollies, 4 Platys, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 German Blue Rams, 3 Hillstream loaches, 7 Neon Tetras. Not all at once but that's the end goal, I would like your thoughts on it actually. From what I've researched they're in the right parameters and will work for the tank size which is a 180L. What I've been told an issue might be is when the blue rams and kribensis breed they can become territorial so to make sure I have enough hiding spots.

I really don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but a forum exists to help, and that is what we try to do. This comination of fish will not work. First, there is a difference with GH/pH, as @BettaFishGirl noted, and second there is a temperature difference.

Mollies need significantly harder water, they usethe high calcium in this to "live." Platies are borderline, but here I would leave them out.

Temperature is extremely important, because it drives a fish's metabolism. Fish are ectotherms, meaning they depend upon the temperature of the water in order for their essential life processes to function. Temperature off the mark for a fish also affects the digestive system. Such fish may seem OK, but they are merely surviving, and they are not going to reach their potential. The rams must have warmth, in the range of 82-86F/28-30C, while at the opposite end the Hillstream Loaches need 20-24C/68-75. You can find accurate ranges for fish on Seriously Fish.

The cichlids have issues. Rams especially must select their own mate, and bond. This is best achieved by observation of the fish in the store tank. I can explain if asked, but given the very high temperature none of the other fish can tolerate, I will wait.

The livebears need hard while neon tetras need softer water. How big is the tank??
Ok thanks for the info, I'll have to reconsider a few. The tank is 180L which is about 49/50 gallons. One of the challenges I've faced to be honest is the needs of the fish, I've spent around 8 months looking at countless forums, YouTube videos and websites and each seems to say something different when it comes to water conditions so I basically got an average and that's how I came up with the fish. Like the Hillstream loaches for example I've seen different water temps and even had a fair bit of info saying people have kept them at 85 degrees without issue which seems crazy.

I really don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but a forum exists to help, and that is what we try to do. This comination of fish will not work. First, there is a difference with GH/pH, as @BettaFishGirl noted, and second there is a temperature difference.

Mollies need significantly harder water, they usethe high calcium in this to "live." Platies are borderline, but here I would leave them out.

Temperature is extremely important, because it drives a fish's metabolism. Fish are ectotherms, meaning they depend upon the temperature of the water in order for their essential life processes to function. Temperature off the mark for a fish also affects the digestive system. Such fish may seem OK, but they are merely surviving, and they are not going to reach their potential. The rams must have warmth, in the range of 82-86F/28-30C, while at the opposite end the Hillstream Loaches need 20-24C/68-75. You can find accurate ranges for fish on Seriously Fish.

The cichlids have issues. Rams especially must select their own mate, and bond. This is best achieved by observation of the fish in the store tank. I can explain if asked, but given the very high temperature none of the other fish can tolerate, I will wait.
Dam, its ok there's no point asking for advice if you don't listen. Is there any out of that list that would work? As I said to bettafishgirl one of the challenges I've faced to be honest is the needs of the fish, I've spent around 8 months looking at countless forums, YouTube videos and websites and each seems to say something different when it comes to water conditions so I basically got an average and that's how I came up with the fish selection. The reason I chose the hillstream loaches is because I saw a number people say they keep them at 80 plus degrees with no issues and given the tank is at 78 degrees I thought that might be ok.

Ok thanks for the info, I'll have to reconsider a few. The tank is 180L which is about 49/50 gallons. One of the challenges I've faced to be honest is the needs of the fish, I've spent around 8 months looking at countless forums, YouTube videos and websites and each seems to say something different when it comes to water conditions so I basically got an average and that's how I came up with the fish. Like the Hillstream loaches for example I've seen different water temps and even had a fair bit of info saying people have kept them at 85 degrees without issue which seems crazy.

Your point about conflicting information is one of the real dangers in this hobby. There are reliable sites, but there is a host of inaccurate and misleading information that is not worth even reading. Seriously Fish is good information. There is also Planet Catfish, Loaches Online, and CorydorasWorld. Not surprising, you will find the data very similar if not exactly so. Knowledgeable individuals spend years researching, collecting, studying, and they know.

Your point about conflicting information is one of the real dangers in this hobby. There are reliable sites, but there is a host of inaccurate and misleading information that is not worth even reading. Seriously Fish is good information. There is also Planet Catfish, Loaches Online, and CorydorasWorld. Not surprising, you will find the data very similar if not exactly so. Knowledgeable individuals spend years researching, collecting, studying, and they know.
I'll check them out, thanks heaps for your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back