How To Get Good Pictures

snakequeen

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 12, 2008
Messages
329
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Surrey
Hi all
Im not sure if im posting this in the right place but werent sure whe to post it.
I have been trying to get some good pictures of my fish but they arent coming out very well
I have seen some great pictures on here and was wondering if anyone had any tips i could use i.e lighting, angles etc
Any help would be great
Thanks
Eve
 
I've got a Kodak compact/mini DSLR, and I've found that an ISO of 64 along with a shutterspeed of 1/60 - 1/250 (for faster fish) works best. The trick is light - for the best quality pic's you need good quality lighting - ideally turn the flash off and use your tank lighting, and cut out light sources from other directions.

A tripod also helps, especially when using lower shutter speeds. And always always always use the timer if your camera has one - set it to a 2 second delay so that the pressing of the button doesn't wobble the camera.

If you don't have a tripod and can't use a table or similar, crouch down (depending on the tank height) with one knee on the floor and if possible lean against something to make yourself as stable as possible. Then use the viewfinder on your camera - this makes you bring the camera in close to your body, keeping the camera stable. If like me you've got an SLR or compact SLR cup your left hand under the camera, wrapping your index finger and thumb around the edge of the lens.

That should give you a pretty stable platform.

If you're taking photo's during the day, near a window then you're going to struggle though - as I've been finding out recently. Its really difficult to cut out the reflection from a strong light source (i.e the window during daylight.) The only way I found that works is looking at the front glass of the tank, work out where you can see the reflection of the window - and move your body so that its not visible where you're aiming to take the pic of.

I'm no expert but thats what works for me.
 
what sort of camera are you using? (DSLR, bridge camera, point and shoot)

depending on the light, you'll need to boost the ISO - I wouldnt go past 400 though if you can help it.

Also you said the pics arent coming out very well, whats wrong with them? knowing that can help remedy the problem.

As tenohfive said, background light will be an issue, so you need to cut out as much as possible - if you have thick curtains they will do, otherwise take your shots in the evening
 

Most reactions

Back
Top