How To Fill Gap On Top Of Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

l_l_l

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey there! I have a tank that came with a cover but unfortunately the cover doesn't go all the way to the back..
I am very worried because once I put fish and snails in there, I'm sure that:

1. My cats won't be able to resist going on top and putting their hands in there.
2. Snails and shrimp jumping out of there.

How would you fill this gap, which is about 30 inches long by 2-3 inches wide.
Thanks!

I'm sure a glazier would be able to cut you a piece of glass that size, although two 15" might be easier (and probably cheaper) if there's a bracing bar to rest them on.

I'm just wondering if I can manage to do this the poor man's way.

Maybe you could cut a piece of cardboard.....? That's a very cheap route and is something I had to do for a while at one point before I could afford a proper hood

or some scrap plywood or even 3/4" thick wood strip  or maybe a couple of wooden yardsticks if you happen to have them

Those are all good ideas but wouldn't the cardboard/wood be filled with moisture after a while?

Use some clear cling wrap like you wrap leftover food in.  Craft mesh or even duct tape are other good ways to cover open areas of the tank.

Wildbetta said:
Use some clear cling wrap like you wrap leftover food in.  Craft mesh or even duct tape are other good ways to cover open areas of the tank.
Oh yeah! I really like your craft mesh idea! I'll do this!

Good idea, As long as the cat doesn't stand on it should be fine

B&Q sell large clear plastic sheets. I think i paid about £8 because it was cracked at the bottom (dont go smashing up B&Q for a discount :p) . really easy to cut with a Stanley blade aswell

You could use part of an old plastic condensation tray if you have one, cut to size and stick on edge of cover with duct tape, not pretty but effective.

Cling film would work also.

Plastic or Perspex cut to size from hardware store would work like the first idea I gave.

Bin liner pulled taut and stuck on with tape on cover and back of tank maybe.

Trial and error really, have a look around your home am sure with a bit of imagination and creativity you can come up with something or several something's until one works to your satisfaction :)

l_l_l said:
Hey there! I have a tank that came with a cover but unfortunately the cover doesn't go all the way to the back..
I am very worried because once I put fish and snails in there, I'm sure that:

1. My cats won't be able to resist going on top and putting their hands in there.
2. Snails and shrimp jumping out of there.

How would you fill this gap, which is about 30 inches long by 2-3 inches wide.
Thanks!
measure it accurately and go to your local hardware store.  they will be able to cut you plexiglass to fit this void. you might even want to have it go across your entire top [but fit inside the inner ridges] and then set your hood on it.

you can set a screwdriver on the stove until it gets hot and then use the slot to do 'dashes' to setup cutout areas for the hood.  then take some wire nippers and cut the melted area off so it look nice and neat.

jasonh_000 said:
you can set a screwdriver on the stove until it gets hot and then use the slot to do 'dashes' to setup cutout areas for the hood.  then take some wire nippers and cut the melted area off so it look nice and neat.

Hmm, not a particularly safe or good way of doing things really.

Plexiglass can be cut using a Olfa Acrylic Cutter, this is essentially a curved blade with a sharp edge. Very good for cutting plexiglass/perspex. I used this for cutting a new lid for my nano tank.

IMO a very good tool, a few practices and you'll get the hang of this prettily easily.

Ch4rlie said:

Hmm, not a particularly safe or good way of doing things really.

Plexiglass can be cut using a Olfa Acrylic Cutter, this is essentially a curved blade with a sharp edge. Very good for cutting plexiglass/perspex. I used this for cutting a new lid for my nano tank.

IMO a very good tool, a few practices and you'll get the hang of this prettily easily.

i'm not saying he should cut the ENTIRE sheet of plexiglass in this manner; the hardware store would use a saw.

regarding it being safe, i didnt hurt myself and i can think of more dangerous things to do.  and the sections i cut out are straight lines and look professional. i marked them with a sharpe and a ruler.
i looked up the cutter you mentioned.. .http://i.imgur.com/76zddgg.jpg <- is that it?  it looks like it wouldnt be suited for cutting out sections of plexiglass for wires and air tubing.
also it wouldnt cut the thick plexiglass that i use.

I too, can think of more dangerous ways to do this but I certainly won't recommend them to anyone though.

That link you gave, that is indeed very similar to the one I bought and used, yes.

And yes I also used it for cutting out sections of both 3mm and 5mm plexiglass/perspex for wiring and light fitting at rear of tank, have a look.....

29_zpsfb42bdc2.jpg

IMG_0779_zps8e5fc7e6.jpg

Ch4rlie said:
I too, can think of more dangerous ways to do this but I certainly won't recommend them to anyone though.

That link you gave, that is indeed very similar to the one I bought and used, yes.

And yes I also used it for cutting out sections of both 3mm and 5mm plexiglass/perspex for wiring and light fitting at rear of tank, have a look.....

ah, well, i've done it before and had no issues.   what do you consider dangerous about my recommendation when you are recommending a sharp instrument?  whats wrong with cutting through plastic by melting and then trimming off the flash? 
I've done it various times in my electronics career.

why arent you using some type of saw or rotary tool instead of that handheld blade if you are going through thick plexiglass?

Most reactions

Back