How To Cool Down A Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

luckyd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there. I have a 34-gallon Red Sea tank. It can be used as either a freshwater or marine tank, and I use it for freshwater. The lights on the tank are very close to the top of the water. With lights on, the temperature can go as high as 82 degrees. But even with lights off, it rarely falls below 80 degrees. The tank is consisently 5 to 7 degrees higher than my other tanks even though all are in the same environment. I've been having trouble with sick danios lately and I'm wondering whether it's partly the water temperature or being so close to the lights since they're mostly top swimmers.

The water routes through the back of the tank. It flows through an intake grate, over a white pad and sponge filter, then through the area where the skimmer would be (if it was saltwater), then through charcoal and ceramic ring filters, and back up through the jets.

I'm wondering whether we could add dechlorinated ice cubes or use plastic ice packs in the back of the tank to cool down the water. Chillers are available for this unit but I'd rather start with a low-tech, low-cost solution if possible. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks for any advice you can give!

Personally i dont get this problem and my lights are very close to the waters surface although my tank is bigger, which may be why.

Is the top of your tank vented above the lights? Heat rises, so if its not vented, it will just heat the top of your water which is then moved around.

If you put some vents in, the heat would rise out of the tank easier therefore not retaining it and heating the water.

are you replacing the carbon every few weeks?

We added the charcoal bag about three weeks ago. Supposedly it lasts two to four months. Can older charcoal raise the tank temperature?

Thanks for mentioning the fans. The tank does have fans that are supposed to dissipate the heat. But lately they've been a little loud when they come on so it's possible they need replacing. The directions for doing that seem ultra-complicated but it would be worth it to check it out.

The funny thing is the tank runs warmer even with the lights out. I wonder if the motors in back add any heat?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back