How To Aqua Scape

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm getting a Java Fern plant, an Anubias, and a Corkscrew Val.  I have pretty much all I need, now I just need to know how to plant them.  I have a 10 gallon.  I didn't want to buy too many plants because I need to see if I can keep them alive first.
tongue2.gif
  So, any ideas on how to set them up when I get them in a few days?

I also have 2 big rocks.  Here's a picture of them (and the fake plants I have now). 
image_zpsf5961f0e.jpg
I will not be having those fake plants in there when I have the real ones in.  

The best way to learn is to look at what others have done.
From my opinion, and probably most people's: Tall plants in the back, same kind of plants together, small plants in the front.

Best way to achieve a good scape is to go with a focal point.
You need to look at your tank like it's a picture, you want people to focus on one part of the tank and this is where most of your stuff will be.

Also if you can stick to one type of rock it gives a more natural effect.

you need a focal point first then add around it.
plants will be added last and if you use wood or stones that will need to be placed first.
always step back from the tank to take in what you have done then you can add to it etc.
always have the wood or stones on a 45 degree angle to give more depth and character to the tank.
when adding plants you need to think of the long term. short plants at the front ex. dwarf hair grass. the medium plants to the side and middle area, and the tall plants to the back. this will make your tank look and feel larger.
i always keep the middle of the tank free of tall plants because i find that it closes it in.

for the planted tank i would recommend a low tech set for beginners. have a dirt substrate (wish i knew about this when i first started out) and cap it with the colour choice of small-medium size gravel, never sand. then when done positioning your focal point plant the hell out of it.. allow the water to become safe for fish and boom you are done.. just make sure that you have the proper lighting and in no time your plants will flourish.

also when doing a dirt substrate you, once plants have rooted. you can't remove them because it'll mix the substrate and then you'll have a muddy mess on your hands.. unless you drain the tank.. remove the plants.. cap it again and fill her up, then you are good.

I'm sticking to all sand to keep it simple.  

Both my rock pieces look almost like the same time type.  Should I use both or would just one look better?  The one rock in the pic can be turned so it's at more of an angle.  How could i set them up?  I thought about angling them towards each other like an arch but not touching.... but then that might be weird.  Any ideas? 

They're both lovely rocks but personally I would use only one or the other and get at least a couple of smaller pieces the same and group them together.

See, i got them on a hike in CO.  :/  I can't get anymore.  Should i look into getting some little rocks from a pet store?  Or would just one rock be fine? 

lol...ok... if you can find something similar to either rock you should get a more natural effect.

If not how about using one or the other with a piece of Bog or  Mopani wood !

Ok.  I'll check some out.  Here are some pics of my other rocks, which i doubt would work.

Also, should i tie the anubias to a rock?  Wouldn't that look bad?  

image_zpsfeb098d1.jpg

image_zpsa5dadf8f.jpg

image_zps7ec86594.jpg

image_zps24402706.jpg

i checked out the wood.  The cheapest one I really saw was $25!  Do they get cheaper than that?

I got one plant in! :D  It's the anubias and I'm attaching it to a small rock.  (I found 2 cool rocks behind our barn!)  I'm thinking about doing a journal once I get the other plants in. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back