How Safe Is This?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Meeresstille

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I think I have a problem with my 40 gallon long tank. It is a cycled tank!

I set this tank up a year ago. Substrate Eco-Complete, live plants, 2 Aquaclear 50 Filters. It was an upgrade from a 30 gallon and everything but the substrate was moved over.

Within days after switching the inhabitants from the 30 gallon tank over to the new 40 gallon I lost 2 German Blue Rams to dropsy. I chalked it off to me having made a mistake, possibly not allowing enough time for them to acclimatize.

Then I lost almost a whole school of neons to Neon Tetra Disease not too long ago. I still have 4 left that are now also showing signs of the disease. In order to keep them isolated I switched them to my 10 gallon tank when I realized that I was dealing with this disease.

The 10 gallon was housing my male very docile Betta and 6 Kuhli Loaches, so I moved those into the 40 gallon. I purchased some juvenile Harlequin Rasboras and qurantined them for aproximately 3 weeks before adding them to the 40 gallon. They are growing well and seem healthy! 

About a week ago my male Betta was getting a little bloated and I thought it may be constipation, I had recently started feeding frozen bloodworms once a week. Fasted him for 3 days and he started looking better. I started feeding again, but only a few days after he bloated again, I stopped feeding and was going to give him mushed pea after this bout of fasting, only to find him yesterday after work terribly bloated, just horrible, and pine-coning. I was totally shocked how fast he had deteriorated and decided to euthanize, I could not bear to watch him like this, I am terribly upset about it still!!!! 
no.gif

My question now is:
My tanks are due for a water change today anyways, and I want to do a 80% water change on the 40 gallon. Our city treats the water with chlorine, and I am wondering if I should/could take the fish out and put them into buckets, while I treat the tank by just letting un-dechlorinated water sit in the tank for some time (10 - 30 min?) in the hopes of killing off anything that causes my fish to get sick. I would keep the filter media in a bucket full of tank water, or at least dechlorinated water and not add it back until the tank has been dechlorinated. 
Is this safe to do or ist this a terrible idea?

My water stats are (Nutrafin liquid test kit):
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
pH 6.5 - 7

Sorry for the long-winded tale! 

There will be bacteria (some) on your substrate that you may kill off with this process, however if you can keep the filter in de-chlorinated water then it should be fine.

Maybe wait for a 3rd opinion on here before proceeding!

Thanks for your answer, mhancock! I haven't yet started with the water change, and will wait some more.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back