How often to add fertilizers

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Yeaulman

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
just wondering when a good time or how often to add fetilizers. I dont want to kill my fish by overdosing so please help :(

I have 48 gallons and 130w 6700k lighting.
Tank2004.jpg

What me and other planted tank keepers usually do is just add fertilizer every water change, which is like once every 1.5-2.5 weeks.

I have been doing a water change a week, sometimes 2 a week, due to the mess that my black moors make. Since they are big waste producers, some people on here suggested that I do several water changes a week to try and get rid of the hair algae in my tank.

I'd say none right now . . . with too few plants, fertilizers will just provoke algae explosion. I'd say add more plants first-- then start doing the ferts 1/week.

You could add a plant tab to your sword. There is alot of root feeders at the most lfs's. But right now I would not add liquid fert yet.

Yeaulman

You have a lovely tank. What size is it and how much lighting do you have?
I add fertiliser with every water change and I have a heavy planted tank to the point I cant see my fish :)

If you want to get rid of hair algae you need to get some algae eaters like SAE, shrimp, ottos etc. And also increasing the number of plants helps!!

As a student I am under a budget and cant really afford too many plants. I also have a cold water tank and cannot get SAE's and as for shrimp... my fish eat them up :rolleyes:

My tank is 48 gallons, and I have 130Watts 6700k lighting.

You have about 3 watts per gallon.

Also to aid in the removal of your algae, turn your lights on for 2 hours and off for two then back on. It cleared my entire tank of algae and didnt affect my plants at all. algae cant stand it from what ive read.

timers are awesome

jordan barnhart said:
You have about 3 watts per gallon.

Also to aid in the removal of your algae, turn your lights on for 2 hours and off for two then back on. It cleared my entire tank of algae and didnt affect my plants at all. algae cant stand it from what ive read.

timers are awesome

So what you're saying is at the beginning of when my tank is supposed to turn on it's lights, let it on for 2 hours, then off it for 2 hours, then switch it back on again to continue as normal until light are supposed to go off?

I'm combating a case of fuzz algea atm, need as much help as i can to kill it off. so far light is down to 8 hours a day and I've also cut down on feeding. I've read that mollies can help some, just as long as I don't feed them, is that true. Sorry for hijacking your thread Yeaulman. :*)

Yeaulman said:
As a student I am under a budget and cant really afford too many plants. I also have a cold water tank and cannot get SAE's and as for shrimp... my fish eat them up :rolleyes:

My tank is 48 gallons, and I have 130Watts 6700k lighting.
Out here in the UK there are online sellers from whom you can get plants very cheap (eg. £7 for 50plants). I am sure there will be a few in your part of the world as well :)

I didnt realise it was a cold water tank. :(

Most reactions

Back