How Often To Add Fertiliser?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KCB

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I'm using Neutro T to fertilise my aquarium plants (and they're doing very well) but the instructions state to add 2.5ml everyday, is this overkill? It doesn't sound like much, but then again I've read suggestions on here to only dose a couple days a week, rather than everyday.

I'm using Neutro T to fertilise my aquarium plants (and they're doing very well) but the instructions state to add 2.5ml everyday, is this overkill? It doesn't sound like much, but then again I've read suggestions on here to only dose a couple days a week, rather than everyday.

I bougt Neutro T for my plants too as suggested by Steveo. I dose 12.5ML a day in my 200 litre tank so 2.5ml a day sounds like nothing :p There's no such thing as overdosing a fert I think xD

I bougt Neutro T for my plants too as suggested by Steveo. I dose 12.5ML a day in my 200 litre tank so 2.5ml a day sounds like nothing
tongue2.gif
There's no such thing as overdosing a fert I think xD
you can overdose your tank! in terms of their being too much nutrients in the tank so there is enough for both plants and alagae. too much ferts promotes algae.

I bougt Neutro T for my plants too as suggested by Steveo. I dose 12.5ML a day in my 200 litre tank so 2.5ml a day sounds like nothing
tongue2.gif
you can overdose your tank! in terms of their being too much nutrients in the tank so there is enough for both plants and alagae. too much ferts promotes algae.

I couldn't see how overdosing slightly would cause an outbreak of algae but there yougo.

Always best to dose daily where you can. That way you know the plants are getting something everyday, regardless of something like Light breaking down Chelates or something reacting together.....if you dose once a week and that happens for example they'll have to wait a whole week before getting the chance to see some again....

HTH

too much ferts promotes algae.

Nah.

tongue2.gif

I couldn't see how overdosing slightly would cause an outbreak of algae but there yougo.
plants compete with algae for nutrients. if there is more nutrients than the plants can use up whilst competing with the algae there will be nothing stopping the algae from growing, because the algae is getting all the nutrients it needs, so are the plants, they will both grow.. surely that makes sense doesnt it?

tongue2.gif

plants compete with algae for nutrients. if there is more nutrients than the plants can use up whilst competing with the algae there will be nothing stopping the algae from growing, because the algae is getting all the nutrients it needs, so are the plants, they will both grow.. surely that makes sense doesnt it?

I've never once had a problem with algae and dosing ferts :p

If that were true you'd be debnking eutrophic dosing, but thats not the case.
More that eutrophic dosing counters your claim

IMO.

If that were true you'd be debnking eutrophic dosing, but thats not the case.
More that eutrophic dosing counters your claim

IMO.
ok well i have no idea what your on about and am totally confused. why do malawi keepers use plant ferts to promote algae if it has no effect?

say for example. if you use to much ferts and create an unbalance of nutrients, that would in turn potentially promote algae? or not?
Dunno.gif

why do malawi keepers use plant ferts to promote algae if it has no effect?

Apples and Oranges - Fertilisers will feed any plant.
It's just that in a Planted Tank section it's better not to continue the legends.
The same arguement applies when people try to cite Phosphate, washing powder and lakes.....etc

HTH

say for example. if you use to much ferts and create an unbalance of nutrients, that would in turn potentially promote algae? or not?
Dunno.gif

In a planted tank - No.

EDIT 2 - I don't like the balance theory much either...but that's me.

why do malawi keepers use plant ferts to promote algae if it has no effect?

Apples and Oranges - Fertilisers will feed any plant.
It's just that in a Planted Tank section it's better not to continue the legends.
The same arguement applies when people try to cite Phosphate, washing powder and lakes.....etc

HTH
so is that true for any planted tank. what about a lighly planted 90 litre for example. the bottle says use 5ml for every 90 litres twice a week but you use 20 ml 4 times a week. wont that promote algae or go against the " you can never have too much ferts" arguement? im not picking, im trying to learn :)

so is that true for any planted tank. what about a lighly planted 90 litre for example. the bottle says use 5ml for every 90 litres twice a week but you use 20 ml 4 times a week. wont that promote algae or go against the " you can never have too much ferts" arguement? im not picking, im trying to learn
smile.png

I'd say it's a waste unless you need it. But generally no.

You can find the main causes of algae in a planted tank here That might help you out a bit.

HTH

so is that true for any planted tank. what about a lighly planted 90 litre for example. the bottle says use 5ml for every 90 litres twice a week but you use 20 ml 4 times a week. wont that promote algae or go against the " you can never have too much ferts" arguement? im not picking, im trying to learn
smile.png

I'd say it's a waste unless you need it. But generally no.

You can find the main causes of algae in a planted tank here That might help you out a bit.

HTH
ok well i stand corrected,
bye2.gif

ok one last thing to clear up. once algae has taken hold. would an overdose of ferts be beneficial to the algae once it has taken hold?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back