How often and how much...

Rusty_S

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
This question must have been asked loads of times but I just want to know how often people change their water and how much they replace when they do it?

Personally I change my 21G once a week at a change of 25% of the total volume.

I use the nitrate reading as my cue to change the water. I set a base of 30 ppm and when the nitrate level hits that i do a 20% water change. It usually takes 8-10 days for it to get back up to 30 in my tanks. However when tanks are changed and fish are added or subtracted then the time it takes to get back to 30 will change accordingly. :)

Yeah that's the way I do mine only I have sand, I use my vacuum just above the sand's surface and it sucks up any poo on the bottom :D

I change 10 gal per week in each of the 37 & 25 gal, vacuum the gravel and rinse out the filter (including, just lately, putting the convict fry back in the tank) each water change.

F1

25% water change weekly on 35UKGal + Gravel Vac.
Change Carbon pads every 2 weeks in my filter and try and change 1 set of media every 1-2 months.
Clean the filter media in tank water monthly.

Usually do a 40% water change daily in my 8.5 KGal QT tank - depending on what is happening in there - IE removing meds.... treating or the like.

in my 40gal i do 35-65% each week... depends normaly its 65 as i was informed the bigger the water change the better it is.. also as long as u dont mess with the filter u could actuaky do a massive water change every two days and your fish would be better off for it.

in my 15.6 i normaly do a 35-40% change each week normaly day after iv done the 40

with my new tank im changein 25% every two days as im doin a fish cycle (ohhhhh im a nasty nasty person but as i cant ge hold of pure ammonia this is the only way.. been into it since iv got me tank and havnt lost a fish yet)

Mine really depend on the tank. My discus I do 30% twice a week. My 150 i do every two weeks, my 100 I do 25% weekly, my 10s I do 50% weekly, except for the frogs they get 75% weekly because they are pigs :sick: The bettas get the poop sucked out daily with my good friend the turkey baster and then they get a straight 40% water change weekly. :)

We do ours based on nitrate too. Do a weekly water test and if it goes above 20ppm then make an appropriate change. Our tap water is 10ppm anyway so that is why we chose 20ppm as the threshold as it is almost impossible to keep it lower.

Most reactions

Back