How Often And How Much H202 To Kill BBA?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

andy36yr19

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've read online of people using H2O2 to kill bba and I want to give it a try as I have tried overdosing excel for a month and it hasn't killed but slowed and I wanna kill BBA. I've been looking online but not much luck so how much H2O2(Hydrogen Peroxide) should I use for a 10g tank and how often if first dose doesnt kill all.

Hi, I don't have any answer either, but I just started yesterday on my 30 gal, and use 20ml or I'm using 1 tbsp, a day for THREE days only...then wait and see if live plants start to turn yellow..I have alot of live plants and drift wood..so far fish are okay..I've also taken out wood with plants and hand cleaned (very carefully) :)

Excel and H202 are both poisonous to fish and will have a long term health effect, even if it does not kill them now. All algae exists because of an imbalance between light, nutrients and CO2. Unless you find (and fix) that imbalance the BBA will always come back after treatment. Unfortunately there is no one thing and the imbalance may be too little or too much - e.g. too much light can cause BBA, too little light can also cause BBA :mad:

I have had to do this twice (in different tanks). Once you do get the balance right it stops growing. In one of the tanks I did end up replacing all my plants because they were quite badly damaged. In the other I got to it quick enough that I still have the plants. I have actually left the BBA on a piece of driftwood, because now that it is dormant it does look quite good.

Thanks seangee, now I'm nervous..don't want to kill my fish, i have reduced my lights, i have leds with multi colored, but i always lower my lights, and timer...lol i even have a night light away from the tank at bedtime, LOL (blue)...well I just may consider taking all stuff out...i do have a tech come and clean tank for me, as i have had like 3 filters canisters leak and i'm just not into doing it myself anymore...(had larger tanks few years ago).. any who, thanks for reply. :)

I'm afraid there is a lot of trial and error involved. In one of my tanks I had to increase the feritliser and oxygen. In another reducing the light was enough.

H2o2 is fine for scrubbing hardware (not wood though). Just do it outside the tank and make sure you rinse properly. If practical let it soak in clean water before putting it back in.

not using H2o2 on wood, just putting into flowing water..today I was going to take out my remaining piece of driftwood which has more plants on it, and hand pick on leaves and scrape wood, but I got too lazy...so maybe will tackle tomorrow. :)

The only way to eliminate problem algae l;ike BBA is to rectify the problem causing it, namely the balance of light and nutrients. Removal by any means (and none of these chemicals are safe for fish as others have noted) is not going to have lasting results if the underlying cause is not fixed.

Light involves intensity and spectrum, and then duration. Nutrients include fish load/feeding, plant additives, and neglecting adequate maintenance (weekly water changes of 60-70%, regular rinsing of the filter, substrate vacuuming sometimes). I have battled BBA a few times over the past 20+ years and in every instance it stopped increasing as soon as I restored the balance.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back