how much work is a BIG tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SeanTrollope

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've always wanted a massive tank but I've always been put off my the obvious workload and cost. but how much work is a 250 gal + tank. how much electricity does it use and what complexities are there in terms of low budget filters.

A larger tank can be less work in some areas, but more in others. Water changes of half the tank volume obviously take longer. But a larger volume of water should be more stable and less likely to fluctuate in chemistry. Electricity costs depend upon the equipment and your local rates, but more lighting and a larger filter and more heaters (if these are needed where you live) take more electricity.

right thanks guys. electricity is very expensive here so i guess that that is a no.

I'm not sure a larger tank is proportionally more work than a smaller one, but probably potentially proportionally greater in energy cost. But we could be splitting hairs when it comes to the difference between a 55 and a 120 or a 120 and a 240. Suffice it to say that a bigger tank requires a bit more maintenance and a bit more energy than a smaller tank...hmm, not unlike comparing a bigger car/truck to a smaller one. Then again, assuming you can afford the time and the money, to a point, bigger can be better. Then again, if you're not serious about the hobby and get lazy, bigger just means a bigger mess!

look i used to breed and i had a lot of tanks but unfortunately high school got a bit in the way and i had to prioritize. i enjoy keeping fish i just need to keep my parents happy in the process(concerned about energy usage for this reason)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back