How much water do i need for mudskippers?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I might have implied to much when i said copper ore, it's just stones which shine a bit and my local town is popular for copper mines, so i just assumed it was copper, i'll still remove it

Alright and yes it is shale, i switched out the stones now, would i be fine just to take out some of the sand and then putting new sand over it?

I wouldn't because sand will mix due to natural water stratification, movements of the mudskippers, etc. And two different types of sand do not look good mixed. A uniform sand substrate is more natural in appearance and also gives the illusion of a larger space.

I might have implied to much when i said copper ore, it's just stones which shine a bit and my local town is popular for copper mines, so i just assumed it was copper, i'll still remove it

You have to be very careful with rock in an aquarium. The inherent substance may be toxic, or there may be toxic veins, and then rock will also absorb liquids and these can leech out over months. Wood is even worse for this, which is why the source is so important.

their current tank at the pet store is a 10 gallon with maybe 5-10 mudskippers in it, some were laying on some wood or plastic leaves sticking up out of the water

We can never go by store tanks since these are at best temporary (they hope to sell the fish/mudskippers quickly) and thus usually less than suitable. At home we provide what the fish really need.

I happened to be watching a BBC Earth program on mangroves last evening, and there were several minutes on mudskippers.

Alright i couldn't find a hydrometer in stores, so i checked online, they're quite expensive so i looked at ones on a alcohol beverage brewing company which are the exact same things, just cheaper, so i've been telling my dad i need a hydrometer from the petstore and how i now ordered one online and he even saw it's from a alcohol beverage brewing company. Now today i get the package and open it up next to my dad and he goes, oh that looks familiar, he then leaves and a few minutes later he brings out two other hydrometers he had... Anyways i measured and it's 10 ppt salt right now

Alright quick update on the mudskippers, they're doing great! I love how they have different personalities, one of them is really friendly and likes crawling around on the moss while the other one likes to stay on the sand and usually keeps to himself. I put in some coconut husk and i noticed some are being pulled up onto land! Is it possible that one of the mudskippers are pulling up the coconut husks? I saw one of them next to the pieces yesterday...

I have also completed my big paludarium made out of a 100 gallon tank now and will be posting the finished pics of that, just need to put in the aquatic plants, more hardscape and some springtails, looks great with the small waterfall and the main plants on land is Asparagus ferns (asparagus plumosus) which really look great, then some smaller ferns a little here and there and even on the wall, and to complete it all some moss basically everywhere.

Is it really that long ago i got them? Well they're still doing great! I added java moss to the water for some vegetation, it quickly became the color of the water but it survives, i also put some aloe vera plants on the land part of the paludarium.

Maintaining the aquarium and the fish is easy and for anyone looking to get mudskippers i recommend them!

Just be sure to get the salt levels right and to have both land and water for them!

Most reactions

trending

Back