How Much Water Do Angelfish Need?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CoryLover95

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not really interested in getting an angelfish at this point, but I was just wondering how much space they need.  Somebody told me that I could have a "small school" in my 37gal.  Is this true?  I kinda thought they needed a lot more...
Thanks!

Angelfish don't "school" They live in pairs, They can be very mean to unproven pairs and have been known to kill the other angels if they haven't pared up.

Anyhow, You want around 40-50cms of depth, Angels get fairly large and need some nice water to swim in.

You could buy 6 babies and wait until they pair off, and keep the pair. Or just buy one. Either way, two adults and some other community fish is probably the best bet!

Personally, i'd never keep them in less than 55 gallons as adults... but whilst growing on babies, it gives you time to know their personalities..

But most people who complain of aggressive angels just dont give them enough space...

I think like everything it depends how flexible you are and of course, on the fish. I like to experiment (within reason!) and would always encourage others to do so, it make the hobby very rewarding!

I bought two young angels hoping they may get on (but having separate homes in mind if they didn't, which I knew was likely and was the case!). One angel that grew big very quickly, from a 50p size to almost fist-sized in under 6 months. I was very surprised given that I had read about people keeping a pair in tanks as small as 20 gallons!

They were in a 125l which was supposed to do them for a few years but it quickly became too small for the bigger angel who is probably now about 8 inches from top of dorsal fin to bottom of pectoral fin. The other did not grow so fast - if i had kept the 125 i would probably still have him in there. Now the larger one is in a 240l and the smaller in a 200l and they both look great as single fish in a community and are brilliant 'centrepiece' fish.

I guess if you're willing to try things out and change them if they don't work then you can do it, but don't get too attached to a pair of angels in a 25g if you're not willing to upgrade or rehome as necessary. My husband gets upset every time I rehome a fish but if I didn't I'd have a billion tanks and no surfaces.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back