How much longer until my guppy has babies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FunnelCreator

Reaction score
I bought this guppy 2 weeks ago. When I did it already had a small belly. Now the belly has increased in size. How much longer until it has babies? To clarify it has a orange gravid spot. These were the best pictures I could get of it as it is such a quick swimmer. 😂

Attachments

• BF6D912C-07BB-4184-8096-529670FEF10A.jpeg
    BF6D912C-07BB-4184-8096-529670FEF10A.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 495B3014-EEB8-4609-83DB-339B247D075D.jpeg
    495B3014-EEB8-4609-83DB-339B247D075D.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 18
If you need any better pictures let me know. I can try and get a few more if that helps your estimation.

It's been over 50 years since I've bred guppies but that does not look like prego to me. If memory serves the internal eggs should look like a black pouch.

Give the tank a 25% water change with cold water and see if that doesn't induce something.

It's been over 50 years since I've bred guppies but that does not look like prego to me. If memory serves the internal eggs should look like a black pouch.
Hi there, and its an orange gravid spot. I verified with the local fish store. The spot has also transitioned from a light orange to a darker one now.

Usually, the abdomen would 'square off' and the gravid spot would redden, allowing me to see the eyes of the fry right before they rolled out. But I only kept wild caught lines of guppies, and the selective breeding may have changed that a little. A reddish gravid spot was a sure sign with wilds, but that fish is already reddish.

if it is gravid (pregnant), then it should give birth in the next week or so. If it doesn't produce any young in a month, I would deworm the fish.

Gravid spots are not always visible on all fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back