How much gravel for 20 gallons?l

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

About 36 lbs for two inches thick or 18 lbs for one inch. I assumed 30.3 was length of tank and 12.3 was the width. Still be about the same if the width was 12.5, but I assumed 12.5 was the height.

About 36 lbs for two inches thick or 18 lbs for one inch. I assumed 30.3 was length of tank and 12.3 was the width. Still be about the same if the width was 12.5, but I assumed 12.5 was the height.
So 36 ponds of gravel?

If you got a 50 lb, bag, you would have gravel for other tanks. :)

I thought it was 1lb per gallon, because that is what I read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Before deciding on gravel, what fish are you intending for this tank? Some suitable to this sized tank will need sand, and sand is generally a better substrate.

If you go by the two inch rule I based my calculations on the bottom area of his tank floor. If raingamma only wants an inch depth coverage over area of tank floor he would only need 18 lbs.

Before deciding on gravel, what fish are you intending for this tank? Some suitable to this sized tank will need sand, and sand is generally a better substrate.
Well I already had gravel to use I have a Betta

Well I already had gravel to use I have a Betta

OK, that's not an issue. I would suggest around 1.5 inch depth when spread flat, then you can aquascape it to have it slightly more in back and less in front.

That’s was my question to @Byron. :)

Certain species of fish, (Cory cats, and Loaches) need sand to have a happy life. :)

I just found this website....http://www.howmanyfish.com/how-much-gravel.htm

And I used the measurements from your tank, Andy I came up with....

• 36 pounds of gravel.
  • 42 pounds of dry sand.
  • And 54 pounds of wet sand.
If you got play sand, (they come in 50lb bags, at Lowe’s for just $4, a killer deal) not only does it look great, but it is also easier to “keep” in a tank. JMO. ;)

I just found this website....http://www.howmanyfish.com/how-much-gravel.htm

And I used the measurements from your tank, Andy I came up with....

• 36 pounds of gravel.
  • 42 pounds of dry sand.
  • And 54 pounds of wet sand.
If you got play sand, (they come in 50lb bags, at Lowe’s for just $4, a killer deal) not only does it look great, but it is also easier to “keep” in a tank. JMO. ;)

I am skeptical of their calculations, or rather, I'd be interested in why they think one needs so much substrate. Putting 42 pounds of dry sand in a 20g substrate is around double what you need. But it is nice to have extra as you say, good point.

I was kind of skeptical of that also @Byron , I would think that the gravel and the sand would weigh the same? Wouldn’t you? :)

Most reactions

Back