How Much Do You Feed And How Often?

fergiesek

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
67
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I apologise in advance as I'm sure this question has been asked to death!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Had our tank since end Jan this year and still have hundreds of questions!!!

How do you know you're feeding your fish too little, the right amount or too much?

I have 12 fish and feed flaked food twice a day as the tub states. A few flakes per fish. Thats my query as the pinch of flakes I measure per fish might be bigger or smaller than the next persons!!
Whats a pinch?!!!!!!! :-)

They all rush up to the surface to be fed and eat everything I give them in less than 5 mins. Some floats down but they hoover up from the bottom. We've got two cory cats so they eat from the bottom anyway.

Should I feed only once a day, and if so should I give them more as I'm only feeding once a day?

I add a couple algae wafers every other day - s'posed to be for my otocinclus but everyone else eats it. Never seen it on them ever!!

Usually have some blanched green lettuce or cucumber on a clip at the side of the tank for the otocinclus and he eats that - so do the gouramis and mollys.

Have started adding peas maybe once a week and they eat that, though it lies a while at the bottom - they nibble away at it till they're all gone.

Last week I got sachets of brine shimp for the first time as I read on here about those as helping give a varied diet. And they're a 'treat' for the fishes so adding a sachet maybe every 3 days. Pack says in addition to normal food as a treat.

Grateful for any replies.
Many thanks
Fergie
XXX
 
all very good questions.
it is usually said that you feed enough food so the fish eat it in 3-5 minutes, though cucumber and fresh veg will take longer. so a pinch could be said to be the amount of food your fish can eat in 5 minutes. all the rest seems fine. i would, however, not blanch or par boil any food that goes into the tank, there is little or no point to it and it just makes it rot quicker. if it floats use a weight. don't peel any of the food, though a good wash is a must and you do need to skin peas.
 
all very good questions.
it is usually said that you feed enough food so the fish eat it in 3-5 minutes, though cucumber and fresh veg will take longer. so a pinch could be said to be the amount of food your fish can eat in 5 minutes. all the rest seems fine. i would, however, not blanch or par boil any food that goes into the tank, there is little or no point to it and it just makes it rot quicker. if it floats use a weight. don't peel any of the food, though a good wash is a must and you do need to skin peas.


Cheers Boboboy!

Good to know. I only blanch te lettuce/cucumber cos shop told me to do that but I understand and agree with what you've said, it does rot quicker so I'll put in fresh - after washing thoroughly of course - from now on! I attach it to a clip I bought in aquarium shop - like a white plastic bulldog clip. It has a sucker thing that sticks to side of tank.

I do boil and skin the peas - forgot to say that - sorry! :-)

Sorry for my ignorance but what food do you weigh down and what do you mean by weigh down? How do you do that? I don't want to be missing any tips!

Many thanks again,
Fergie
XXX
 
You can weigh a cut cucumber down with a simple fork. I put it in tines down so as not to hurt the fishies too.
 
all very good questions.
it is usually said that you feed enough food so the fish eat it in 3-5 minutes, though cucumber and fresh veg will take longer. so a pinch could be said to be the amount of food your fish can eat in 5 minutes. all the rest seems fine. i would, however, not blanch or par boil any food that goes into the tank, there is little or no point to it and it just makes it rot quicker. if it floats use a weight. don't peel any of the food, though a good wash is a must and you do need to skin peas.


Cheers Boboboy!

Good to know. I only blanch te lettuce/cucumber cos shop told me to do that but I understand and agree with what you've said, it does rot quicker so I'll put in fresh - after washing thoroughly of course - from now on! I attach it to a clip I bought in aquarium shop - like a white plastic bulldog clip. It has a sucker thing that sticks to side of tank.

I do boil and skin the peas - forgot to say that - sorry! :-)

Sorry for my ignorance but what food do you weigh down and what do you mean by weigh down? How do you do that? I don't want to be missing any tips!

Many thanks again,
Fergie
XXX
the only stuff i use at the moment that need weighed down is courgette and cucumber, i use stainless steel tie irons, things used to connect the two sides of walls when they are being built. but i am a confirmed cheapskate, so anything bought to do the job is fine, imo. lol i am about to try celery leafs, it seems some fish go potty for it, so i guess that will need added to the list. i dont boil my peas, though that is possibly because i use frozen peas, after they defrost, i simply put pressure on the pea and the skin splits.

from my point of view there is never any need to apologise for any lack of knowledge, the fact that you are asking the question, to me, means that you are simply learning. ignorance is reserved for those who cant be bothered to ask.
ask away, really that is what the forum is for! :good: :good:
 
Thanks for the replies.

boboboy - loved your last para - cheers for that ! ;-)

Fegie
XX
 

Most reactions

Back
Top