How Mnay Fish An I Get In A 75 Us Gal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

leecara

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have bought a 75 us gal and i would like to know how u work out many fish i could get so can some1 pz help cheers

big update ive just realise 340 ltrs = 89.9 us gallons not 75 us gallons DOH lol

What kind of fish are you interested in?

Do you want a reef tank, fish only, inverts?

Do you have any previous experience with saltwater?

This is a controversial topic. I would recommend about 10-15 small fish for a beginner; when your ability to spot probems is heightened you can take it up a notch.

i ike the look of and am thinking something like

2 clowns
1 regal tang
3 lyretail anthia
1 lemongoby aka clown goby citron
1 flame angel fish

reef setup

and inverts-like starfish shrimp snails ...

so do u think i could get more fish and if so how many and what would u recomend

also is there a rule like inch of fish per litre or sumiin?????

also is there a rule like inch of fish per litre or sumiin?

Nope, saltwater is exceptionally varied in terms of compatability, waste production, and other considerations that something like inch of fish per gallon rules dont apply.

Your fish listed would be a great start. Obviously dont put all the fish in at once, try and do a couple at a time. One word of warning. SOME flame angelfish individuals (around 15%) will decide that they like the taste of SPS corals or open brain corals. If you're not planning on keeping either of those, feel safe about adding the flame. If you do want either of those corals in the longterm, be prepared to have to remove the flame if it does end up being one of those few that likes the taste of corals

ok could u add another fish say a blue line tang and any more or would u say just the tang or no more at all?

Well, two tangs in a 75 is pushin it. Sure some have made it work, but it might not be the smartest idea for a first-time marine aquarist. I don't doubt your dedication but every new aquarist lacks needed experience to keep these fish alive and happy. If it were my tank I'd only do one tang.

surely even 75us gal is too small for a tang, the sites i have been reading recomend 100uk gals for any kind of tang. it seems silly to me to to buy a fish that you will either have to upgrade your tank or re-home it when it outgrows your tank.

even the most basic of marine books tell you to reserch the adult size of the fish you think you wan't to keep. also it should be considered that, not long before you buy the fish it had the whole ocean to swim in. i know there is no tank that can match the size of the ocean but how would you like to live in a 12ft cube, when yesterday you had the world to explore?

I agree, I have just downgraded my 220 UK gallon system and about to build a 75 gallon Uk system (which is larger than a 75 US gallon). I have got rid of all my tangs as i simply wont stock them in a tank this small. 100 UK minimum for most tangs... maybe a bristletooth might get into a 75 gallon but that is all.

god with the tang rules when i first got interested people where saying 55g is minimum for the likes ofregals and yellows and now your saying 100g is the minimum? :blink:

god with the tang rules when i first got interested people where saying 55g is minimum for the likes ofregals and yellows and now your saying 100g is the minimum? :blink:

For some species like the Yellow Tang, Ive read what really matters is the length. They like swimming back and forth so having a long tank is good for them.

ok thanks for that but i have read on internet and book that the regal tang ( the i-2 inch size) has a minium of 40 us gal so surely if i get that size( the smallest version of the blue hippo tang aka regal tang) it will be fine in my 75 us gallon because that is the size i wanted to stock any way i think your on about the 3-4 inch size

heres a link for the small hippo tang http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/pr...oot_parent_id=4

i dont meen to sound rude if i am

to my knowledge i dont think there is a different variety of hippo tang as regal's are hipo tangs. Also you would only be able to put a real real small juvinille tang in a 40 gallon and keep changing them out every time they got too big or upgrade

also i think that info may be a bit dodgy as this is what live aquaria have to say about Paracanthurus hepatus (hippo, regal blue tang) http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Di....cfm?pCatId=330. says they can get to 1 ft

my tank is75 us gal have a look on www.saltwaterfish.com and scroll down to tangs the regal tang is under hipo tang it shows you diffrent sizes of them so if it only gets to 2 ich surely they would be fine because my tank will be twice the size of there minium tank

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back