How many Pygmy Cories in this tank size?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It is generally a good idea to have a cover on an aquarium with fish. It reduces/eliminates dust settling on the surface (which can cause issues), it avoids evaporation from condensation (which not only reduces the tank water, leaving behind the bad things, but it gets into the walls of the house), it prevents fish jumping out (you might be surprised how many fish will jump at night from this or that, even cories), and it can avoid dangerous substances accidentally getting in the water. It also keeps the air above the surface warmer, and with anabantids this is very important.
Ah ok! Thank you, I will definitely go with a lid then.

I don't like HOB filters (had them years ago), there is too much current, though I've no idea if these newer models can be reduced, but the waterfall design is not suited to what you're planning now.
Ohhhh ok. I have 3 AquaClear filters, with adjustable flow, and as far as I can tell, they cause VERY little surface agitation, and gentle water movement inside the tank. I have both an AquaClear 50 and a 20 to choose from, and I have definitely noticed on my 10 gallon that there is little water movement much to the side of the filter. It is hard to explain, especially as I am not able to put up a video. I will definitely keep an eye on it though, and can run to Petco in a pinch If the HOB doesn’t work out! I appreciate your help!

Do you you think the stocking sounds ok, or are there any noticeable problems?

Do you you think the stocking sounds ok, or are there any noticeable problems?

Assuming the stocking is that in post #15, no problems but I would add another shoaling species. Pygmy cories spend a lot of time in with other fish species groups; mine are almost always mixed in with the Ember Tetras and/or Green Neons that share the 29g with them. You have the regular neons, and they are lower-level fish, the gourami are upper level; Ember Tetras or one of the dwarf rasboras (Boraras sp.) might be an idea.

Assuming the stocking is that in post #15, no problems but I would add another shoaling species. Pygmy cories spend a lot of time in with other fish species groups; mine are almost always mixed in with the Ember Tetras and/or Green Neons that share the 29g with them. You have the regular neons, and they are lower-level fish, the gourami are upper level; Ember Tetras or one of the dwarf rasboras (Boraras sp.) might be an idea.
Ah ok! I worried that in a 20 long with moderate filtration, 3-5 gourami, 8-16 Pygmy Cory, and a BNP PLUS another schooling species would be too much! I like the idea of neons, but would they be happy in a lower water movement/flow environment?

Ah ok! I worried that in a 20 long with moderate filtration, 3-5 gourami, 8-16 Pygmy Cory, and a BNP PLUS another schooling species would be too much! I like the idea of neons, but would they be happy in a lower water movement/flow environment?

I'm getting confused over this thread,..I had thought neon tetra and pygmy cories and honey gourami were the intention but seems that went by the wayside somewhere. So you are now thinking the HG trio, 12-15 pygmy cories, and a BN. [Make sure there is a chunk of real bogwood for the BN to rasp.] A small shoaling species would be a good idea.

Filtration is not the main thing, it is the species and numbers in the space, and live plants help. The filter is primarily moving the water around, and this should be based upon the needs of the fish, and this is the "clear" water aspect as the water flows through media. The "clean" water aspect of biological filtration will occur anywhere, filter or no filter, so larger filters or more filters make no difference--unless of course the tank is way overstocked to begin with, and in that case the filter(s) become emergency band-aids of sorts.

.I had thought neon tetra and pygmy cories and honey gourami were the intention but seems that went by the wayside somewhere.
Yes, when you had mentioned the neon tetras preferred the more water motion, more like a stream, I mentioned a bristlenose pleco instead. I apologize for the confusion :unsure:

Yes, I do have a large piece of driftwood

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back