How Many Platies In A 55gal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tank212

Fish Addict
Reaction score
When my fry mature I am gonna put them in a 55gal until I decide I want to breed them. How many can I put in a 55gal if theres nothing in it besides platies and 6 or 7 cories?

You could have a lot. I'd say maybe...25-30ish? I've never contemplated having a large tank like that all to Platies, so I'm not quite sure. I'd stock it up fairly slowly, and just see how crowded it looks and how much room they have. Also, you have to keep the male/female ratio right, though that may not be such a big deal with all the room and decor.

Good luck, I'd love to see pictures when it's set up. :thumbs:

When my fry mature I am gonna put them in a 55gal until I decide I want to breed them. How many can I put in a 55gal if theres nothing in it besides platies and 6 or 7 cories?

Does that mean you will only be putting one sex in? Otherwise it won't be when YOU decide you want to breed them... :lol:

I like the idea of a tank devoted to platies. And a big school of cories would be great to go with them.

think you could put a bit morw than that in....general rule for 1" ish fish....length of tank x width of tank divided by 12.
bout 50 anyways, dont know your tank dimentions...

It is gonna be different sexes more than likely but I don't think they fry will survive anyways in the big tank as there is not a whole lot of cover. I have a spawning tank going with my high fin platies and by the time I get fry from them my other fry will probably be mature enough to go into the 55gal. If I decide I want to take the platies that I put in the 55gal out, I will move the females to the tank of their own to run out their current pregnancy and then put them in the spawn tank with the male I choose to breed them with. It might take a little while for this plan to start out but I will post pics once the fry have grown up and are in the 55.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back