How Many Honeys?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Alexarium

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So now that I moved the betta from the AquaNano 40 to a smaller (but much denser) planted tank, I'm left with 5 Amanos, 5 red cherries and 52.50 lts of water (minus the plants and wood). So I thought I'd buy some honey gouramis.

Initially my thought was for a couple but then I read that some males can cause trouble to a single female, so now I'm thinking of 3, 1 male and 2 females.
I am also planning to add some Celestial Pearl Danios in the same tank.

How would 10 CPDs and 3 honey gouramis (1M, 2F) sound?
AqAdvisor says I'm ok, but what do you people think?

Mind you the tank is a cube, not a long, if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

I was under the impression that when there's a pair of gouramis they can become highly territorial. I have 1 honey and he's with guppies, corys, snails, shrimp but he's never shown signs of aggression. You could be right about a single male with a single female causing trouble i'm not sure to be honest, 

Hopefully someone else can give better advice, I know next to NOTHING about CPD's so not sure how compatibility would pan out

If you get 1M 2F then the honeys by themselves should be fine, they can however get aggressive when spawning so the Cpd's, already a shy fish, could get freaked out & even more shy so you'd barely see them.
Cpd's also prefer lower temps than the honeys

Do you think CPD's will be too shy even without the honeys in there?
I could get the CPD's out of the equation and maybe add more honeys?

Cpd's on their own in a good size school with a well planted tank aren't as shy, it seems the more hiding places they have the bolder they are, & they will breed well

What would a "good size" school be?
10? 15?
Maybe I could get the honeys out of the equation.
I only wanted to add them because I thought the CPDs would be too shy and the tank will look empty if they are hiding constantly.

By the way, this is how the tank looks like after removal of the Betta  and the large rock it had inside (and the addition of some more plants)

Before
hde6.jpg

After
z04e.jpg

Would you call this a well planted tank? or should I add some more plants in there?

Could add some taller plants to cover...whatever that tube is in the back there.

10 is a good size school, depending on the tank. I think even one honey gourami would really stand out in that tank though, bright yellow against the black/brown.

Yes, that tube (is a spray bar) has been in my plans to cover but I don't know what with!
A crypt or an anubia? Suggestions?

Also, how would a single male honey gourami be with the CPDs?
Any incompatibility there? Maybe I should get a female honey?

Water sprite would be decent. Anubais is a pretty short plant with big leaves, I think it would throw off the chi you have. :p Crypt might not be tall enough either, depending on the variety.

Honey gourami in general are totally passive, sometimes they rumble with each other but that's it. The gourami might find the CPD's curious. Aside, 10 CPD's would probably feel very comfortable in that size a group.

Another website says they like floating plants. As well to keep as many as you can get.

Water sprite it is then!
The few water sprite plants I already have (back right) seem to attract the amanos like bees with honey.
They practically stick to it and won't leave even if I try to "push" them away with my finger!
Along with some amazon frogbit, it would do the trick, won't it?

My alternative would be to push the spray bar down so that it would be in a vertical position.
Perhaps that would make it easier to hide.

I wasn't sure if the other side of the bar was sticking out of another hole or not, but vertical position would definitely make it easier to hide especially if you moved the water sprite in front of it.

You're lucky you're in the UK, almost every single floating plant is banned in the US (or just california). :(

Oh, that's so sad...
Can't you find someone with a few floaters from the forum here?

Most reactions

Back