How many gallons for pond slider?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OliveFish05

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hi! How many gallons does a red ear pond spider turtle need? How much space? Somebody is rehoming one near me, it currently lives in a 36” inch bow front tank with no area to rest. The listing says “his little dock broke, so I get him out of the tank to rest every couple days” it is a pretty decent sized turtle… I am working on planning a space where I can have a few stock tanks and wading pools setup outdoors to grow plants, and would love to try to make a space for this turtle.

Last edited:
I kept my three in 250 liters

Ive always heard that its 10 gallons per inch of shell... So 120 gallons MINIMUM... I wanted to keep one until I saw that LOL... In fact I did keep a turtle once but it was a baby that wondered onto our doorstep... We only kept it for a few days and then set it free.

Ive always heard that its 10 gallons per inch of shell... So 120 gallons MINIMUM... I wanted to keep one until I saw that LOL... In fact I did keep a turtle once but it was a baby that wondered onto our doorstep... We only kept it for a few days and then set it free.
Awwww precious! We kept a little red eared slider for a summer. As much as I love my tropical fish, I think I could be happy with ponds for the rest of my life... koi and turtles and goldfish and Pygmy sunfish and all those. I am looking at a 110 gallon stock tank that measures 53 inches long, 36 inches wide, and 20 inches tall. obviously after a land section it would only be about 80 gallons... I could potentially dig a pond. I think I will have to pass on the ph turtle though, I don’t think I have a winter solution for it:sad:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back