how many fish does it take

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

cassandra

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
how many more fish can i get for my 40 gallon tank i have 3 female mollies 1 male mollie, two neon rainbow tetra, 1 silver tetra, and a pepper cory hoping to get her a friend soon, but i was hoping you guys would be able to tell me how many more fish i could get in my tank Thanks cassandra ;)

It totally depends on the type of fish you're looking to add - do you want schooling fish, bottom feeders, lone fish? If you want a school it'll of course depend on the size of the fish and how many need to be in the school. You have to look at the adult sizes of any fish you want to put in your tank, and then add that to the adult sizes of the fish you already have. Since you have room, I would really suggest you first work on enlarging the schools of the fish you already have. Your cory would love to have more than just one friend, they're schooling fish and much more active with more of the same species. Also, tetras are schooling fish that really need to be in a larger school to be happy - 6-8 minimum.

Hi Cassandra,

The traditional rule is 1 inch of fully grown fish to 1 US gallon. There's a website here which has guides to adult sizes of fish - hope it helps!

PS every time I read the subject of this post I keep in the main part of the forum, I keep thinking when I click on it it's going to say:
"... to change a lightbulb"
:lol:

Most reactions

Back