how many dwarf Gourami's?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sharkbait

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
Just read one of the posts below re: someone who didn't recommend keeping more than one dwarf Gourami in a 29 gallon tank unless a mated pair. (having watched them fight.) I've only got a 22 gallon tank, yet my local fish shop said that providing I have 3 rather than 2 they should be OK together, as pairs fight.

I am tempted to get another two... :wub:

What do you think folks? :/

Hi - I just asked the same question in tropical chit chat. You can look at the posts there. I'm still not exactly sure of the answer, but I think one male or a mated pair from info I've gotten so far.

dont keep three male together are u look for disater for a the whole tank if there are any other fish ur going to have three fish trying to make territorys if i wasu i'd leave him on his own or get him a girlfriend!!! even if they arent pretty...anyways its the pesonality that counts :D

I've been seeing a lot here about aggression in male dwarf gourami. Either I just got lucky, or the 'cinnamon' strain of dwarfs are just naturally docile. My four males never even look sideways at one another, or at any other fish. They are just the sweetest fish. All they seem to care about is food -- they're always looking for more!

If you want to keep more than one dwarf, see if you can find a "red" variety called 'cinnamon' dwarf gourami. I bought mine at a PetSmart. I've often thought they might be a type of honey gourami (which are reportedly shy, not aggressive), but mine are not at all shy, they nibble my fingers and investigate everything I do in the tank.

Alia - I'd say you got lucky :). Like any animal, some fish are aggressive, some aren't. It really just depends on the individual animal. For example, tiger barbs are imfamous for being aggressive nippers, whereas I have one who swims with my danios and leaves everyone alone. I'd have to question your recommendation to have cinnamon dwarfs. I just really wouldn't assume any species of dwarf gourami is necessarily quiet and peaceful, though I could be wrong. Also, it probably depends a lot on the size of tank and how well planted it is. A large tank and lots of hiding spots and plants will make a large difference in the aggression any fish shows towards others.

Sharkbait - I wouldn't recommend getting 2 more, just stick with your 1. It's just too risky to get more, you don't want to end up having an injured fish. I had to buy a whole new tank to seperate my boys, lol. The reason your store may have suggested getting 3 instead of 2 is to spread the aggression throughout more fish. This is often the case with some fish, such as barbs which will pick on the lowest fish in the pecking order, but if they are in a school, the aggression is spread out enough to usually keep everyone happy. However, I don't think this would work with dwarfs, since they're gonna fight with whatever other males they see! All this is just IMHO. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back