how many angels

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Hey angel lover :)

Don't worry about asking questions!! We all had to learn this stuff at some point. The important thing is that you're finding out. :nod:

If someone mentioned an airstone, they mean one of those (usually blue) porous little stones that you attach to the end of some airline tubing, powered by a small air pump. They blow tons of tiny air bubbles in a current to the top of the tank. Some people add them just because they like the look of the bubbles, but their purpose is to increase surface agitation and facilitate gas exchange via popping bubbles, effectively increasing the oxygen level in the water. However, water has a maximum oxygen carrying capacity, and most power filters nowadays create enough surface movement to provide adequate oxygen for the fish. Plus, I seem to recall that you added live plants a while back; these will also aid in oxygenating your water.

Added filtration essentially means providing extra filter media for more nitrifying bacteria to colonize. Is your filter a hang on back waterfall style one? If so, do you use some sort of all in one cartridge or bags in it? I would highly recommend that you stuff filter floss in the filter chamber. It's excellent for housing bacteria and is a good mechanical filter too, catching most particles that pass through. However, if you're going to keep that many angels in a 55, I'd recommend that you also add a second filter (stuff that one full of floss, too).

Hope that helps somewhat. :thumbs:

I went and checked out the pics of your tank (looks great btw! :thumbs:). It's hard to know exactly, but from the strainer on the end of your intake tube, I think it's a Regent hob power filter. Do you buy inserts for it that slide in? If so, I'm suggesting you replace them with the use of plain old white filter floss (looks like a bag full of quilt stuffing), just make sure you don't remove your insert before you've got loads of gunky bacteria on the floss. You should be able to stuff quite a bit of floss in, in addition to the insert that's already there. I would also recommend that you buy a second power filter in order to cope with the heavy fish load in your tank.

You're welcome.. and yeah, the Regent filter I'm thinking you've got has dual compartments for media..I'd still add a second filter. It doesn't necessarily have to be as big as the primary filter, though. I personally like AquaClear filters, but I know Jeff (smb) swears by Emperors with bio wheels. I've never had one, so I can't say how they are from personal experience.

Most reactions

Back