How Many Angels For 75 Gallon?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

julielynn47

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am going to be setting up a 75 gallon aquarium and I am wondering how many Angel fish can be put together in that size tank.  

Anyone have any experience with this?   I know I would love to have at least 2. Should I have all males? Or all females? Or one of each? Or if more than 2 then how many of each?   

Also wondering what would go well with Angels. I mean, what will get along with them and them with the other fish.  I figure bottom dwellers won't be an issue. I want a school of Pictus Catfish I know.

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

With Angelfish ( im assuming you mean the Cichlid species ) you need mated Pairs. meaning 2 fish, 1 male and 1 female. As for number you could have, i would put no more than 6 in a 75. As these fish can show aggressiveness, i would put in some other fish with the same Agrresiveness that also wont bite off their long fins.

As for what goes with Angels, bottomdwellers like Corydoras catfish, Pictus Catfish, Plecos, Some ottos may be fine as well. Fish like tetras and danios may not be a good idea as they are known to be fin nippers. So if your going for bigger fish, you could go with RainbowFish, or you could go with Clown loaches ( 4 or more recommended ), As well as a school of Corydoras Catfish ( any species of these will do ). 

What Parametere is your water, Ph, Gh, Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate levels and Temperature range will also help us with finding other fish that may be good with these Angels.

I agree that five or six angelfish would be the limit in a 75g (presumably a 4-foot tank).  This is a shoaling species, and having fewer than five will inevitably result in bullying.  The exception is a bonded or mated pair, as mentioned above.  This means the fish have selected themselves.  Any two fish, male/female, may or may not result in a successful bonded pair.  However, with a small group (5-6), they will inevitably pair off, and that causes more issues if you do not have tank space to separate the pair(s).

Other fish must be similarly quiet and sedate by nature.  As for bottom fish, pictus cats are very active, especially at night, and this is not going to bode well for the angelfish.  Pictus cats (Pimelodus pictus) are also shoaling and should be kept in a small group of at least 5; single fish may pine away. Tankmates should not include sedate fish like angels, discus, gourami and even cichlids as these will be pestered by the nocturnal habits of this catfish, nor nippy fish like barbs.  Medium-sized characins, larger rasbora, rainbowfish are suitable.  Pictus are peaceful but it is predatory and as it matures (attaining up to five inches) it will eat small fish.

Byron.

I was probably lucky but I got 4 angels for my 260 ltr tank and ended up with 2 pairs both of which have spawned occasionally but always ate the eggs, or something else did. I see the reasoning behind having a bigger group to avoid bullying, but buying 4 or 5 is very likely to get you at least 1 pair and you can take the others back to the LFS if there are problems.

I wanted Angels, but it is a no go for me if it means no Pictus Catfish. I have wanted this 75 gallon for years, and the Pictus is the main reason I wanted the tank. I have always wanted a school of them. I just thought that since they were bottom dwellers and the Angels were not, then it would be okay. But if I have to choose between the 2, I will go with the pictus.

I didnt know that Angels were that agressive. I had heard that they were a little, but I did not think about them being so bad that I might have to take some back to the store. That is what I had strived to stay away from in my 55. None of the fish it in are agressive in the least. I even had 2 chinese algae eaters, over the years, with no issues at all. I loved them.

Thank you all for the input! I do not know what I will decide on chancing, but I know want the Pictus

with CAE the adults are the aggressive ones not the babys--- juviniles 

My very first CAE lived to be 5 years old and he/she was never a problem.  The second one I had lived only about 3 years, but he/she was not a problem either.  I think it may be because I overfeed, I know I do, but my fish are never in a position to be hungry.  I do a lot of water changes, so the over feeding has never been a problem either.  I loved my CAE, they would sit on their front fins and look through the glass me. I called them my water puppies because they always acted like they wanted to play. LOL   Anyway, that is my experience with them :)

Aggressiveness isnt really caused by lack of food, its by territory, space in tank, and the amount of fish within the tank

I had 12 angels (3 pairs, 1 trio and the loners) in my 75gal

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back