How many angelfish in 60 gallon community tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

brimynyx

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 60 gallon tall tank. It's been set up for roughly 5 months now, it's completely cycled (I have a canister filter). Currently, I have 8 platies (7 adults and 1 baby) and 6 harlequin rasboras in it. I'm hoping to get another 6 harlequins, so I have a school of 12 in total. There is a mixture of fake and real plants in the tank. I've been thinking about getting angelfish for the aquarium. I've read that there is aggression as they get older. I don't want to get a lot of juveniles and then have to rehome them when they get territorial. Anyone have any idea how many angelfish my tank could support? I'm thinking roughly around 3 or 4 full grown adults.

Hi welcome to the forum :)

So the first question we have for you is what is your water like? Is it soft or hard? Angels like neutral/soft water where as your platies like hard/neutral so it may be you need to decide which side is going to work for you long term :)

Wills

My tap water is relatively hard. Ph of roughly 8 and a gh of roughly 12. But I have a lot of tannins in my water (due to the driftwood) so the water in my tank is roughly 7.5 and the gh gets down to 9-10. I've read that angelfish will do fine in slightly harder waters since most are captive bred.
Harlequins have similar water parameters to angelfish, and they're doing just fine (super colored up, active, eating).

My tap water is relatively hard. Ph of roughly 8 and a gh of roughly 12. But I have a lot of tannins in my water (due to the driftwood) so the water in my tank is roughly 7.5 and the gh gets down to 9-10. I've read that angelfish will do fine in slightly harder waters since most are captive bred.
Harlequins have similar water parameters to angelfish, and they're doing just fine (super colored up, active, eating).
Unfortunately years of captive breeding doesn't undo centuries of evolution. I would suggest looking into RO water.

Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely look into softening up my water. But how many angelfish would be suitable?

Another issue is temperature compatibility.

Platies need temperatures no warmer than 77F where as angels need warmer than that, ideally 80+.
Keeping fish at the wrong temperature affects their lifespan and immune system.

My tank is 48 inches long, 24.5 high, and 12 inches wide. Platies, harlequins, and angels can all be kept at 75-76 degrees, so temperature wouldn't be a big problem. My biggest concern is the aggression as the angelfish get older.

My tank is 48 inches long, 24.5 high, and 12 inches wide. Platies, harlequins, and angels can all be kept at 75-76 degrees, so temperature wouldn't be a big problem. My biggest concern is the aggression as the angelfish get older.
You could probably get 4 or 5. Wills will be able to give an exact number. Keep in mind the platies and angels probably won't go well together. The platies aren't fast and occupy the same area as angels. They can also be moderately aggressive.

Angels should really be in the 78 to 80 range IMO, and should not be kept below 76. The rasboras can go a bit cooler, but will appreciate warmer waters. Also lowering the hardness will lead to issues with the platies. I'd say if you are really set on angelfish you should probably return the platies to your LFS.

edited content

Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing a lot of research on angelfish, and many people say that platies are compatible with angelfish. Platies are peaceful fish (they don't nip fins). I'll definitely keep the water hardness and ph in mind. But I'm pretty set on keeping angels and platies together, if it doesn't work out, I'll rehome one or the other.
I don't mean to come off as ignorant or subborn, I just want to explore my options.

Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing a lot of research on angelfish, and many people say that platies are compatible with angelfish. Platies are peaceful fish (they don't nip fins). I'll definitely keep the water hardness and ph in mind. But I'm pretty set on keeping angels and platies together, if it doesn't work out, I'll rehome one or the other.
I don't mean to come off as ignorant or subborn, I just want to explore my options.
Best of luck.

I'll definitely reconsider my stocking options. I've been looking around the forum for more answers.
Has anyone had any experience with them together?

I had 2 bonded angelfish in my 55 gallon tank for years, they grew to be a little larger than 6 inches (body), most people recommend a bonded pair or at least 5 angelfish. I was lucky and was given a bonded pair. 5 angelfish fully grown may be to much for a 60 gallon.

Alright, thanks. I'm definitely looking into getting pair. Just to double check, it doesn't matter whether they are bonded or not? (say I could have 2 males or two females, angels are hard to sex so it won't be guaranteed that I get a m+f pair)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back