How Long To Leave Lights Off After Water Change

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

huh?
sad2.gif

my light is on, before, after, and during the water change
sad2.gif

Yeah, I don't think it really matters. Especially for plants (you've posted this in the planted section)

I guess it could make a little bit of a difference for fish though, less stressful and all. Personally though, I just leave the lights on throughout because I siphon water both in and out. I'm not one for pouring and disturbing everything :p

I heard leaving them on in high tech can lead to algae

Yea sorry should of said in regards to plants and algae etc

Other than the issue of fish stress mentioned above I don't worry about lights. When I do a very deep change which I know will stress the fish I leave them off for a couple of hours afterward but other than that for a regular water change I have never turned them off and have seen no raise in algae by leaving them on. I say don't worry about it unless you have stress issues.

same altho i never turn them off during a big water change, the lighting in the room is to low to do maintenance trimming and so i use the lights to see what i am doing in the tank, some of my fish even love the low water :) they change and become more active and more playful its quite funny, but yes i have been told it leads to algae but not because of the light because of the co2 within the fresh water you put in wether it is true or not no idea but i have algae but i'm sure its for other reasons :) it wont kill to have the lights on i guess try it out and see what happens 

Zikofski said:
they change and become more active and more playful its quite funny 
Active and playful or darting around the tank distressed? :lol:

Fresh water from the taps contains a huge amount of disolved co2, doing water changes with lights on is a bad idea as the co2 levels will be fluctuating massively and it will take your plants a long time to adjust to this in balance. This in turn gives algae a massive upperhand. This is the number one cause of algae. Take it from someone who has no algae. I personally would say wait until the end of the day when the lights go off and then do your water change.

So would it have an effect.if i had.my.light 2 till 10 everyday then the day of my.water change have the light on eleven till seven to do the water change after ?

liamhuckle said:
So would it have an effect.if i had.my.light 2 till 10 everyday then the day of my.water change have the light on eleven till seven to do the water change after ?
I dont think that would be a problem:)
I would rather do that than upset my co2 balance.

However would you not consider 11 - 7 everyday?

I could the only reason i have them later is to see the tank on a night as its in the living room
And the reason to move one day is my other half works till 9 one night and the lil one is in bed to sabe the chew hahs

SLIM said:
Fresh water from the taps contains a huge amount of disolved co2, doing water changes with lights on is a bad idea as the co2 levels will be fluctuating massively and it will take your plants a long time to adjust to this in balance. This in turn gives algae a massive upperhand. This is the number one cause of algae. Take it from someone who has no algae. I personally would say wait until the end of the day when the lights go off and then do your water change.

i believe your theory is flawed....

i never have any algae, and i have done water changes with my lights on for 25+ years,

my lights are also on about 16 hours a day,

i only have to scrape my glass once every 6-8 weeks, and there isnt any algae, just a very light "slime" on the glass

Mikey1 said:

i believe your theory is flawed....

i never have any algae, and i have done water changes with my lights on for 25+ years,

my lights are also on about 16 hours a day,

i only have to scrape my glass once every 6-8 weeks, and there isnt any algae, just a very light "slime" on the glass
Well think yourself very lucky then. Maybe the co2 levels in your local water supply are very low.

If you're running pressurised CO2 the lights on/off debate should mean a lot less.
I'd also be more inclined to think it's a drop in CO2 that would be a problem if any too - I know my tap water doesn't taste like Evian sparkling, nor dose a drop checker go lime green in it.....You'd also have to ignore liquid Carbon being a good cure too, as by design it will fluctuate levels (bearing in mind it's algae killing properties would have to continue over and beyond the stress period induced in the plant)

On the other hand if your inclined to change alot of your water every day say an hour or two into the light cycle (when the plants are full tilt) and you're running Lime green - I would see that as unstable conditions, once a week though? Unlikely. I'd look towards constant 30ppm, flow, distribution, lighting first.

IMO

All good replys ill play its safe ive tried upping my co2 see how high i dare go wuthout loosing fish

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back