How long should I wait to add fish after doing a soil bottom?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Iā€™m thinking of doing a soil bottom for plants. How long should I wait to add the fish back in after doing the soil? Also would it affect my fish if I had to take them out for a few hours? I also want to know if the fish will be healthy after I do the soil in the tank bc I spend a decent amount on fish already and I donā€™t want to loose them.

Personally I would not do this due to the significant risks (to fish) plus the fact that it really has minimal benefit for plants. I have had planted tanks for 25-30 years, and researched the various methods and even tried a few. Soil is one I have never even considered after researching it.

Soil contains organics, and this is the benefit. Organics decompose producing CO2 (the initial high level of CO2 is the only benefit for plants, I'll come back to this) and ammonia. The level of ammonia can be sufficient to kill the fish in the tank. Most soil substrate authorities advise six months before fish are added, and using a dry start to begin with; I won't get into the complications of this, but you can research it.

Obviously the ammonia is the main risk. As for CO2, it is true that more will initially be produced from soil than from an inert substrate like sand or fine gravel, but within a few months the latter will be just as beneficial. Organics naturally build up in the substrate whatever it is composed of, and this is the main source of natural CO2. Diana Walstad, who is the prime advocate of this method (soil) admits in her articles and book that any inert substrate like sand will be equal to soil (with respect to nutrient benefit) by the end of the first year, and the soil would then (or should then) be replaced, starting all over again. This is not required with non-soil substrates. The initial CO2 is the only "benefit," as any mineral nutrient in the soil will be minimal and used within a few months if not sooner.

If you are intending an "aquatic garden" planted tank wiithout fish, then soil has no real detriment. But if you intend a fish tank that happens to have livee plants, it is the most risky method.

Thanks. I have been researching it a lot and people say to use organic soil and I have seen people put fish in and they are fine.

I had a soil tank capped with gravel. It was ok for about a year, i probably wouldnt do a soil tank again, its messy for moving replanting plants, its difficult to keep aerobic as it compacts, and it leaches alot of organic into the water after a while and it needs to be changed after about a year, which is a pain in the butt. Personally id go with sand or gravel with root tabs, its inert, and things like pool filter sand and blasting sand dont compact like play sand and you never have to change it. Easy peasy

Thanks. I have been researching it a lot and people say to use organic soil and I have seen people put fish in and they are fine.

All I can say to this is that your research has been limited and you are not getting the true story. Good luck.

Gravel and sand work just fine for most plants and is easier to maintain and clean. Many plants take what they need form the water not the soil others you can add root tabs and there is plenty of plant food on the market. It also can be better for your fish.

Thanks for the help. I am just saying I have researched it and people say it is good but I am going to take your word for it and just do root tabs instead.

Gravel and sand work just fine for most plants and is easier to maintain and clean. Many plants take what they need form the water not the soil others you can add root tabs and there is plenty of plant food on the market. It also can be better for your fish.
What plant food would you suggest I get?

I had a soil tank capped with gravel. It was ok for about a year, i probably wouldnt do a soil tank again, its messy for moving replanting plants, its difficult to keep aerobic as it compacts, and it leaches alot of organic into the water after a while and it needs to be changed after about a year, which is a pain in the butt. Personally id go with sand or gravel with root tabs, its inert, and things like pool filter sand and blasting sand dont compact like play sand and you never have to change it. Easy peasy
I have some fine gravel in my tank right now. Would you instead suggest getting some seachem flourish root tabs and putting them under the gravel? And should I also maybe add some planted substrate instead of soil?

What plant food would you suggest I get?
Most of my plants didn't need anything when I "planted" them in my 55 gallon tank. I did what is called a silent cycle. The fish added what the plants needed. I have a bottle of Seachem Flourish which I have not needed to used- they also make root tabs. What type of plants are you planing to have. I have jave ferm, Java moss, moss balls, moneywort, hornwort(floating) African Fern, narrow leaf anachris, water sprite. The ferns you do not plant but attach to rocks or wood. I just bought several new plants that I will be putting in my new aquarium that will need root tabs such as Argentine sword. I am new to live plants after years of plastic plants.

I have some fine gravel in my tank right now. Would you instead suggest getting some seachem flourish root tabs and putting them under the gravel? And should I also maybe add some planted substrate instead of soil?
As I understand it you put the tabs by the plant when you plant it. I have just gravel in my tanks.

I use Seachem Flourish tabs in plain old sand.

One of the problems with searching for info on planted tanks is that it means different things to different people. On many "planted tank" froums it is all about the plants, if the owners happen to add fish it is only to show off their plants. So they will add CO2, use high light and add chemicals such as gluteraldehyde to boost plant growth. These things are all bad for fish.

To others (and I am in this camp) the plants in a tank are purely there to create a better environment for the fish. If the plants can't cope with conditions that are optimum for fish they get replaced with those that can.

This does not mean boring tanks by any means 20191220_000233.jpg20191214_195630.jpg

Id just add the root tabs to the gravel. Adding new substrate on top of old substrate will cause all sorts of death and chaos lol, no need to add aqua soil if you use root tabs.
Plants have two ways if absorbing nutrients, through roots and through water column some plants are heavy root feeders some get more through water, if you have root feeders like swords crypts bunch plant then root tabs or nutrient rich soil will help. Uf you have plants that feed from water column like java fern, anubia than root tabs will just be expensive dirt food. There are 3 main macro nutrients NPK (nitrogen, phosphate, and Pitassium) nitrogen and and phosphates are bi product of fish waste and organic matter, so that leaves potassium which isnt in most tap water. You can dose potassium with liquid ferts or dry. I use dry fertlizer in the form of k2so4(potassium sulfate) or one can use Kcl(potassium chloride) or potassium nitrate but i away from ferts with nitrate in them cuz i dont want the extra nitrates. The nutrients plants are most deficient in usually is potassium and Iron. One can again luquid fert iron or use dry. Red clay products or iron. Ferrus gluconate. Its alot and we havent even covered lights GH KG and PH and CO2

Like @utahfish and @seangee said there are a lot of thing to consider. Right now your fish are your main concern until your tank gets cycled. I would add some floating plants like hornwort and water sprite to help with the ammonia. They are good at soaking it up, You can "plant them if you want but I would just let them float for now. How many fish do you have and types?

Most of my plants didn't need anything when I "planted" them in my 55 gallon tank. I did what is called a silent cycle. The fish added what the plants needed. I have a bottle of Seachem Flourish which I have not needed to used- they also make root tabs. What type of plants are you planing to have. I have jave ferm, Java moss, moss balls, moneywort, hornwort(floating) African Fern, narrow leaf anachris, water sprite. The ferns you do not plant but attach to rocks or wood. I just bought several new plants that I will be putting in my new aquarium that will need root tabs such as Argentine sword. I am new to live plants after years of plastic plants.
I was planning on getting an amazon sword, crypts, and maybe anubias

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back