How long should I light my tank for?

Cephas

Reaction score
Okay, I've just put my light onto a timer (I'm at school during the days so I can't turn it on at the right times for my fish). I've set it to turn on at about one o'clock in the afternoon and off again at ten thirty at night. It's a thirty-four litre (ten US gallon) with live plants, so is this nine and a half hours of light enough for it?

Also, keep in mind that it gets some in-direct sunlight from my room's window during the day.

NeoTank.jpg

That's my tank.

Any help'd be appretiated. :)

Your tank is probably the best looking 10 gallon I've ever seen. :thumbs: I am not sure on how many hours you're supposed to leave the light on for, but I usually turn mine on at about 10 or 11 a.m. and turn it off at 10 or 11 p.m. :dunno:

You can't get an answer because there is no correct answer. It depends on the wattage of light and the height of the tank, and the types of plants being kept and how much light they actually need. 10 hours is probably a good starting point, and you should be able to figure it out from there by judging plant health and algae growth.

Most reactions

Back