FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

bigdave2009

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
how long until i experience algae in my tank

what kinds are there
what do each of them do

A couple of weeks, unless you only have your tank light on for a few hours a day.
Only experienced green spot algae, apparently it is the sign of a healthy tank, but looks unsightly.
Live plants help to get rid of algae growth, as they take up the Nitrates produced by nitrifying bacteria during the cycling process, which is what algae thrives on.
Also Phosphates in the water supply contribute towards algae growth.
As live plants need around 10 hours of light per day, it can be a bit of a catch 22 situation trying to keep plants healthy and algae growth under control, so putting a timer on your tank light and providing a few hours 'siesta' period mid afternoon helps prevents algae growth, and keeps the plants thriving.

two kinds of algae i remember the names of, string algae.... gets its name because it looks like string. and your ordanatry stuck to the glass algae, one of the biggest promlems almost every fishkeeper will have to battel at one time or another. (i got my biOrb 100% algae free for 4 month then, i have a infestation of string algae.....)

a UV light with daily algae scraping with your trusty algae scraper will keep the glass clean (i said a UV light because that kills 95% of all free floting algae)

getting some small algae eaters such as the bristlenose swill help keep algae under control.

There are loads of different types of algae. This guide lists the most common + potential cures. Best way to avoid alage by far is to plant real, fast growing plants on 50% of your substrate. Fertilise them well and consider CO2 addition and you will create conditions where you plants will always outcompete any algae for nutrients that try to take a foothold in your tank:

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

:good:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back