How Long Do Fish Live

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noodles

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
ok i know its a very open question! but just how long do types of fish live both in the wild and in an aquarium?? Its difficult to find any sort of information on the life span of many fish anywhere, and its probably quite an important one to consider when buying new fish for you tank.

I would be particularly interested in the common types of community fish really, as I am sure many fish dont live to their potential in many peoples aquariums and in-breeding does lead to weaker fish, but people on here must be some of the best fish keepers in the business so just how long do your little friends live?

And what is the longest living fish any of you have at the moment in your tanks?

To start the ball rolling, my oto is 13months old and my longest living fish, although suprisingly he is in competition with my 5 Amano shrimp who arrived at the same time!

They have even survived a white spot outbreak, a heater failing (to off thankfully) and a tank move, where other so called tougher inhabitants haven't.

i've found small community fish like tetra's etc you can get a good 5 years out of them, larger community fish like gourami's maybe 7-10, but it is definately how long is a piece of string, it varies from fish to fish, like some killies which are annuals going through to your common goldfish which can live for 40 if cared for well.

some of my first fish are over 5 now and still going strong

i've found small community fish like tetra's etc you can get a good 5 years out of them, larger community fish like gourami's maybe 7-10, but it is definately how long is a piece of string, it varies from fish to fish, like some killies which are annuals going through to your common goldfish which can live for 40 if cared for well.

some of my first fish are over 5 now and still going strong

5 years for tetra's! thats longer than i expected! I had figured 3 at most. interesting stuff! keep it coming.

Well, there are many kinds of tetras. I would guess that neon tetras do not typically make it to 5 years, but many of the other types of tetras probably do. (if well cared for)

my dad still has a pakistani loach that i bought when i was 16 im 24 now!

How long a fish can live is usually dictated by its size and how active it is.

eg a large inactive fish will live a long time and a small, highly active fish will live for a shorter time

the cardinals i have now i've had for 4 years but have kept neons 5 years and my BN died after 8 years with me, had her since i was 8 :sad:

Here is a general list for typical lifespans in home aquaria

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/manage..._Lifespans.html

The question of how long in the wild is a difficult one. One the one hand, the (normally) much fresher water basically being continually changed and the availability of the fish's favorite/most-preferred/healthiest-for-the-fish food along with unlimited size in which to grow means that fish in the wild definitely have the potential to live longer lives in the wild. This is reflected by the discrepancies between adult wild fish length and adult aquarium length. That said, it is only a potential for wild fish, since the wild is an exceptionally harsh place. Almost every single fish kept in home aquaria are pretty darn low on the food chain. In the wild, they have to live their entire life in fear of predation. Not only that, but food doesn't come everyday at 5 o'clock, circumstances where there is plenty of food will be few and far between. A wild fish also is in danger of flash floods washing undesirable contaminants into the water, washing the fish from its natural habitat, or the flip side, fish in the wild also are in danger of drought simply making their homes disappear. Finally, when a fish in the wild gets a parasite or disease, there isn't someone pouring medicine into their water.

Between lack of food, chance of predation, non-treatment of disease, only a tiny, tiny, tiny amount of fish in the wild live that long life there is the potential for. This is why so long as the fish being caught from the wild is not on any endangered or red lists, I don't have any problem with keeping them in a home aquarium. With even a little knowledge of how to keep fish, that fish is probably going to have a longer, fuller, healthier life than would have awaited them in the wild.

I've had 5 amano shrimp since early 2005, so more then two years now
A betta i purchased in december 2004 and was sick a week later and recovered is still very healthy, going on 2 and a half years now.

I also have glowlight tetras and a whiptail catfish since november 2004 or so.... almost 2 and a half years now for my longest living fishies :)

I started keeping fish in october 2004

I have three golden barbs and two of my white clouds that I have had for over 3 years now. And they don't show any signs of popping off just yet!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back