How long can fish go without light. Does it get too stressful?

Tttay89

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My lights went on my tank now 2 weeks ago. Reason being is it took me a week to get around to going to my fish shop to get a replacement light, when I got one it didn't fit correctly so am currently waiting for some clips to arrive so I can install it. They're still not here and it's been a total of 2 weeks.

All fish are still acting as usual and eating.

I thankfully currently have no plants.

Thanks

It won't hurt those fish. A lot of fish we keep in a fishtank, do occur in dark waters in the wild or shaded areas. Which makes it a bit harder to give a proper answer on your question. I even have one particular tank that has got no light at all and those fish are doing perfectly well.

Truth be told, lights are more for us to view the fish than for the fish. There are many parts of the amazon with a fair canape of trees shading the water. In some cases in the rainy season, there is quite the cloud cover. Now there could be a problem (e.g. finding food) with total darkness, but unless your in a cave, I presume there is some room light filtering in. In any case, you can't undo where you're at so you replace the light as soon as you can and life goes on. :)

I agree with both members above. The tank light can be somewhat harmful to many forest fish, and that is much more an issue if it is bright.

In total darkness, which means pitch black at night with absolutely no ambient light in the room, most fish will "sleep" or rest, inactive unless suddenly startled. Other species like many catfish will be active during such darkness. A regular schedule of "day" and "night" replicating their habitat is best, but the "day" does not have to be very much as others noted. The fish have an internal clock of sorts, called the circadian rhythm--actually all animals including humans have this, and there is something similar in plants--and consistency of "day" and "night" and in between dusk and dawn times is important.

When the tank light is again operating, be careful as it might be something of a shock for the fish after two-plus weeks of no overhead light. No idea on what species you have, but any sudden bright light can stress most fish even when turning on the light in the morning (always have ambient light in the room when tank lighting comes on and goes off, and keep those times the same each day to not mess up the circadian rhythm.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back