How Long Can A Betta Go Without Coming Up For Air?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

janragan

Reaction score
I really think my Betta is dying. He hasn't been to the top for air for over an hour. He is just laying on the bottom.... how long can this go on before he dies? What can I do to help? ????

Lower the depth of the water so that he doesn't have to swim such a long way to get a breath. If you haven't already, add some tall, big-leafed plants that he can rest on, too, as this will make it easier on him. Maybe a bit of aquarium salt.

How old is he? Is he displaying any other odd symptoms?

Edit: I just saw your other topic. Is this Finley, the fish you referred to earlier?

Lower the depth of the water so that he doesn't have to swim such a long way to get a breath. If you haven't already, add some tall, big-leafed plants that he can rest on, too, as this will make it easier on him. Maybe a bit of aquarium salt.

How old is he? Is he displaying any other odd symptoms?

Edit: I just saw your other topic. Is this Finley, the fish you referred to earlier?

Yep! I have been sitting here reading and I wonder if he might have tuburculosis? He is just laying on the bottom and his whole body is moving when he breathes. His spine has a pretty bad curve. It has been that way about a week now. Also, any noise was causing him to fly around the outer edge of the bowl (against the glass). I think he is too weak to do that now. Should I try some tri-sulfa?

:sad: just lower his water, make sure it is clean and if he was mine I would leave him now. if you can shade his tank/bowl so it is dark it will calm him. try not to keep looking at him as that will just sress you both. sorry :good:

I just saw him in a cross light and I think it may be velvet. He is a blue fish with lots of yellow on his fins so it is hard to see but he seems to be looking sort of dark yellow brown (?) ... I know ... that is hard to decipher... but it is mostly on his head and front part of his body and fins. I have totally eliminated all light and am raising his temp to 82-84 which should help until I can get to the store tomorrow. Should know... I have evry kind of meds EXCEPT something for velvet... I have a little hope now at least! Thanks for your help :)

PS... he is in a bowl and the water level is maybe 3-4 inches. Will that work??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back