How Long Are Mosquito Fish And Platy Fish Pregnant?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zozorox3

Reaction score
hi i was just wondering how long are mosquito fish and platy fish pregnant? I may have a pregant one of each but i am not sure because i have been getting mixed ideas from everyone. But i was just wondering so i could know when they might have the babies. Thanks! :good:

A platy is about 4 weeks. Which kind of mosquito fish do you have? It is the common name for both Heterandria formosa and for Gambusia affinis. The Hets are about 3 to 4 weeks but give birth to a few fry each day for over a week. I have never tried to keep Gambusia so no idea on those.

From other posts it sounds like Gambusia and most likely affinis. Which i've now explained about 3 times so not going to do it a again, should be able to read the other posts at least!!!!

And Heteranderia dont give birth all in one go.

They give birth to 1-2 fry a day over 10-12 days.
Some people think it constantly say 5-8 fry a week all the time but i personly think it the 1-12 days then they stop for 2-3 weeks.

Sure HelterSkelter, I'd love to read them. Which other posts should I read? This is the second thread where I have posed the question today but I have not seen any answers yet. I totally agree with the pattern on Heterandria, not many fry each day and it goes on for a week or more to total about 10 to 15 fry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back