How Do You Use Moss?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Yes, you can use it to aquascape by attaching it to stones or wood, even plastic crating mesh-some sell items as moss shelves. Some will glue them down or you can use a thread/fishing line to secure it. You can also use the moss in a filter, I have some susswasertang (technically not a moss :dunno:) sitting in one of the filter compartments in my 22 gallon. Can go in a freshwater sump too. Irregardless of the fish...this is how you can use it.

I once had two shrimp tanks where I built a moss wall using gutter mesh. You could do the same as a moss floor. Bad thing is the moss traps stuff and eventually algae becomes a mess in the moss.
20150611_232758.jpg

20150611_232752.jpg

I'm confused by the question too. With goldfish, I'd expect the goldfish to eat it, so it would be a salad bar more than anything else.

With any other fish, I'd superglue or tie it to decor.

Please tell me the guppy, betta and goldfish are not in the same tank!

Yes, you can use it to aquascape by attaching it to stones or wood, even plastic crating mesh-some sell items as moss shelves. Some will glue them down or you can use a thread/fishing line to secure it. You can also use the moss in a filter, I have some susswasertang (technically not a moss :dunno:) sitting in one of the filter compartments in my 22 gallon. Can go in a freshwater sump too. Irregardless of the fish...this is how you can use it.

I once had two shrimp tanks where I built a moss wall using gutter mesh. You could do the same as a moss floor. Bad thing is the moss traps stuff and eventually algae becomes a mess in the moss.View attachment 131527

View attachment 131528

Nice tanks!!

I've found algae has gradually taken over my moss too. I'd attached it to a wood piece to make a 'tree', and it looked great for a long time, but algae has gradually worked its way through all of it no matter how much I tried to remove it. Not keen on using Excel, so I'm tempted to just remove and replace the moss, accepting that it'll look good for a while before I have to replace it again.

Like I explained, you use thread/fishing line or crazyglue gel to attach it to rock, driftwood or other items like moss ledges of DIY craft mesh ledges/walls.

Not sure what you mean as top of the water, when you attach it to a surface that will be underwater.

You tie or glue it down. YouTube is full of videos if you need them to clarify how to do it.
He actually starts at 9 min in. Starts with lots of tips and recommendations.

I have lots of Java in the 240 gallon. But,I get you as its hard to make look like other mosses in the pretty pictures. Java does not grow into beautiful layers like Christmas moss will. Or into tight mounds like Fissidens. Java in big amounts from a distance could pass as hair algae! Now,I have it on wood..but it has filled in the gaps between wood in an amorphous blobs. It also can get entangled in other plants as strands are loosened by scavenger type fish and float everywhere.
Sometimes Java does send out beautiful Fir tree like branches. Why not always,I can't say. If that was it did all the time..I would let grow from end to end.
One last- those 'scape vids of moss pruned tight on twisty branches? You will quickly find its not reasonable to expect yourself to keep it sheared tight. I tried..no way. I would be shearing twice a week by dunking my arm to the pit!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back