How do you guys fill up you fish tank???

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Fawke - its just people mixing up two methods..theres no need to 'stand' when using water conditioner...

method1: add nothing to water but leave to stand overnight - the chlorine dissipates naturally. DOES NOT WORK on chloramine etc, only chlorine.
method 2: Add water conditioner - swirl, give it 30secs or so to work and its done.

Back to the original post I use buckets - 12 litre ones. But thats cause its only about 5 yards from tap to tank :)

aj xx

i use buckets...

but if its an initial setup the garden hose should do great :)

count urselfs lucky, i cant find a peice anywhere that will attach my hose to my taps... god damn stupid council bloody crappy workmanship doggy bloomin taps grrrrrrr

Python! Very easy for both fill and drain, just add the water conditioner directly to the tank after the drain, before the fill.

God I wish I had had a hose when I filled my thirty gallon, instead it was a washed out container the cat litter came in and such a pain to lift up to the tank, which is already 2 feet high but also on the dresser. If you have a hose, use it!!

Hmmm,

I always thought that the water conditioner needed to 'bond' with whatever elements (chlorine and chloramine) in the new water BEFORE you added it to the tank during a waterchange. So this is a Myth? All that carrying of buckets between the bathroom and lounge is inecessary? Nooo! :S

jump

On the larger tanks we use two hoses that we hook up to the laundry hookups, one's cold and the other is hot and I hold them in together so the water comes out at a nice temperature. On the other tanks for water changes and initial fill-ups (the smaller ones) I just use a 5 gal bucket. :thumbs:

Buckets, for me. I can't find a hose fitting for my taps.

As an aside, if you really want to add hot water to even the temp, NEVER use hot tap water as it contains high levels of disolved metals such as copper or even lead from the household pipes.

Use water heated in a steel or plastic kettle instead.

As an aside, if you really want to add hot water to even the temp, NEVER use hot tap water as it contains high levels of disolved metals such as copper or even lead from the household pipes.

I too used to believe this until it was recently pointed out by a member that most good conditioners will also detoxify heavy metals present in the water, which after checking it seems is true, i however still dont use water from the hot water system, old habbits die hard and if it aint broke dont fix it.

SirMinion said:

I've ALWAYS used warm water from the tap. Never a problem. I guess it must depend on the condition of your heater and the type of pipes you have, etc. So, never say never!

CFC said:
it was recently pointed out by a member that most good conditioners will also detoxify heavy metals present in the water
Do'h! I never thought of that!

he he he.

jumpman said:
Hmmm,

I always thought that the water conditioner needed to 'bond' with whatever elements (chlorine and chloramine) in the new water BEFORE you added it to the tank during a waterchange. So this is a Myth? All that carrying of buckets between the bathroom and lounge is inecessary? Nooo! :S

jump
The conditioners work instantly for our purposes. I've never had a problem just adding the conditioner right to the tank before adding the water, and my municipality uses so much chloramine that my skin smells like i've been in a swimming pool after a shower.

My local water dept calls me before they add chlorine to the water upon my request so I schedule my water changes around this but if I have to do a change when chlorine is added I will put some conditioner in first then add rest after I finish the change
As for hot tap water NEVER had a problem with it

Yah all i have been doin is carryin down a 2 gallon jug.... but for a 55 that might take a while :hyper:

Most reactions

Back