How Do You Get A Breeding Pair Of Bolivian Rams?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Wansui

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So my 240L tank is almost cycled, and soon I will be stocking it with fish. I really want a breeding pair or two of bolivian rams, but im not sure how to achieve this because it's almost impossible to differentiate between male and female. So when i go to the store, should I randomly pick out 6 bolivian rams and let them pair off naturally? but then what would I do with the fish that didn't get to pair up. Could I still keep them? or would it be better to return the fish without a partner back to the fish store. Also, is it ok to have multiple breeding pairs in one tank? and, can the parents raise the fry on their own, or would I have to put the fry in a diffrent tank. Sorry for all the questions and thanks for reading :)

Bolivian rams are great! I've had two males for a little over a year :)  

A lot of people do buy 6 and let them pair up, because I've heard they can be picky about breeding partners, then rehome the other four.  If you want really good quality fish for breeding you might want to go ahead and find a good breeder to buy from.

Depending on the size of the tank you could theoretically have more than one pair, but it depends more on width and length than volume.  A tall narrow tank wouldn't be good for two pairs because they are territorial, and live on the bottom.  

They will take care of their fry, however not always on the first try if they're anything like other cichlids! What other fish are you planning on having?  Some of them will eat fry and eggs if you're not careful, though the parents will defend the nest it's best to just plan well!

Definitely do lots of research before considering this further.  Look for things like special requirements and tricks for breeding - such as changing the water to simulate rainfall, which I've heard of people doing.  Do more research then ask any more questions you have! If I were you (and if it's possible for you) I'd have a special breeding tank separate from other fish.  I'm going to have a 55 gallon (around 200L) Bolivian ram breeding tank when I get stuff sorted out with my 65 gallon (around 240L) to move my community there!

Good luck with your new tank!

Most reactions

trending

Back