How do I set up a QT tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

freshy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
My female guppy hasn't been well for a few days. Hiding and acting lethargic. But today she's having trouble swimming. She's now in a diagonal position! :crazy: Could it be swimbladder disease? I have isolated her in a rather large recipient with water from the tank, some stress coat and some salt. Right now I don't have a QT tank but I'm on my way to get one.
What should I buy? What else can I do to help her?

She looks very weakened :sad:

Thanks for any help!

If it is swim bladder and it is fairly progressed not alot, for the qt tank you will need a heater, filter, a few plants, hiding places, don't need gravel.try a shelled pea if she will eat, the outcome looks bleak at the moment i'm afraid, good luck.

Quick quarantine tank

half fill small tank with water from main tank.....top up with dechlorinated tapwater.
Add heater
use either a small air powered sponge or boxfilter, if sponge then rinse out a mature sponge from your mature filter in about half a pint of tank water... put clean sponge into dirty water and make sure it's saturated... add to quarantine tank.If it's a box filter then wait for the dirt to settle at the bottom of the container then carefully pour the clean(ish) water into the filter... give it 5 mins to soak in then add to the quarantine tank....
Add medication...
Add sick fish straight away.....
Do small regular water changes and remember to add only enough medication for the amount of water you have removed from the tank
if it is swimbladder then peas may well help... also small bits of orange(some fish will eat it) and daphnia.
feed sparingly and if feeding flakes then hold the flakes underwater for a couple of seconds so they sink :)

Most reactions

Back