How do I rescape this tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Red15

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_20220107_224913.jpg

Hi guys! So I'm thinking about rescaping this 42 gallon tank of mine that as you can see has turned into a mess in the 6 months I've owned it. And I have zero idea what I should do!
It's 2.5 feet in length, 1.5 feet in both height and depth and a low tech tank.
What I have in mind right now is to cover the white sand with aqua soil and make a carpet. Also, I would add some co2 tablets in regular basis.
In there, I have densa, coin plant, Amazon sword, hornwort and corymbosa compact. I also have 4 dragon rocks that are not right in size (sounds weird but it is my first tank and I wasn't really sure what I was buying when I visited the store for the first time) I'm thinking of getting some new plants too.
Please suggest me what I should do with it.

View attachment 153046

Hi guys! So I'm thinking about rescaping this 42 gallon tank of mine that as you can see has turned into a mess in the 6 months I've owned it. And I have zero idea what I should do!
It's 2.5 feet in length, 1.5 feet in both height and depth and a low tech tank.
What I have in mind right now is to cover the white sand with aqua soil and make a carpet. Also, I would add some co2 tablets in regular basis.
In there, I have densa, coin plant, Amazon sword, hornwort and corymbosa compact. I also have 4 dragon rocks that are not right in size (sounds weird but it is my first tank and I wasn't really sure what I was buying when I visited the store for the first time) I'm thinking of getting some new plants too.
Please suggest me what I should do with it.
Dont get new plants, just add on to them! I used some dragon rock and black substrate in my tank... Its even the same size as yours! I will try to find a picture that I posted

This is kinda an older picture... but it hasn't changed too much... The water is clearer than it is in this pic but you can still mostly see the design
1643305517978.png

It would probably look nice if you encircle the dragon stone with plants. Maybe get some tall, carpet or floating to create a lush look for all levels of the tank. I would add some wood too. And, wait, don't forget to add SNAILS!
Not the pest snails though

What are you eventually going to stock it with? Which fish? Shrimp? Snails?
First, thank you guys for replying!
Well, right now I have molly, swordtail, guppy, neon tetra and a pair of SAE in there. I think I would get a pair of micky mouse candy platy and a pair of koi swordtail but that's all for now.

Oh, another question. If I want to cover the ground, what carpeting plant should I use? Monte Carlo? Hair grass? Maybe java moss?
I don't have CO2, but if I use the tablets, what plant do you think would be the best?

First, thank you guys for replying!
Well, right now I have molly, swordtail, guppy, neon tetra and a pair of SAE in there. I think I would get a pair of micky mouse candy platy and a pair of koi swordtail but that's all for now.
First of all, guppies freak the life out of me. Read my introduction post as to why.
Neons would like a densely grown tank so you could have half filled with plants of different sizes.
I hope to see a few snails come soon but if you already have SAE, might not be necessary.

Oh, another question. If I want to cover the ground, what carpeting plant should I use? Monte Carlo? Hair grass? Maybe java moss?
I don't have CO2, but if I use the tablets, what plant do you think would be the best?
Even if you are not in the UK, some here might give you inspiration :
I have no idea how CO2 works on plants;I have never used it.

Have you ever kept red plants? I was thinking of getting some rotala rotundifolia pink but I'm not so sure if that would color at least somewhere close to pink in a low tech.

Have you ever kept red plants? I was thinking of getting some rotala rotundifolia pink but I'm not so sure if that would color at least somewhere close to pink in a low tech.
No I haven't with the exception of one I don't remember that turned purple and died. Maybe it wasn't even red to begin with. I think it was called purple stricta.
Useful links:
It seems like you will need some CO2 for red plants. I wouldn't bother. For me, nana plants work best in my tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back