How do I get rid of this?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

@Fish384 , black beard algae is easy to deal with via either peroxide or more effectively with reverse respiration. Good luck!
I've never heard of "Reverse Respiration" before, so I took a look. From what I can see, this is not at all safe. You cannot have fish in the tank, that is certain.

I've never heard of "Reverse Respiration" before, so I took a look. From what I can see, this is not at all safe. You cannot have fish in the tank, that is certain.
I was not planning on doing this because I also do not know what it is, I have never heard of the term.

Just noticed this post. I agree that you have your lights on too long. Mine go on at 11:30 am and off at 9:30 pm. Too much light encourages algae. Also too much food creates a waste problem which makes your ammonia and nitrite/nitrates peak. I only feed my fish 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) and they are perfectly happy. Also do you have any plecs. I used to have an algae problem years ago, and solved it by getting a common plec. They do of course grow quite large, and for most tanks go for other plecs like bristlenose. They are great keeping the glass and the plants/ornaments clean.

Just noticed this post. I agree that you have your lights on too long. Mine go on at 11:30 am and off at 9:30 pm. Too much light encourages algae. Also too much food creates a waste problem which makes your ammonia and nitrite/nitrates peak. I only feed my fish 3 times a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday) and they are perfectly happy. Also do you have any plecs. I used to have an algae problem years ago, and solved it by getting a common plec. They do of course grow quite large, and for most tanks go for other plecs like bristlenose. They are great keeping the glass and the plants/ornaments clean.
Thanks I haven’t really thought about it but I might get some shrimp. If I do decide to get a pleco I’ll probably get a clown pleco as they stay pretty small.

"Problem algae" will not be eaten by any fish with a couple of exceptions, and such fish are inevitably not even considerable for small tanks. The only way to deal with problem algae is the balance.

Having said that, I've no idea on shrimp and problem algae. I know snails cannot control it.

Byron, I agree that the best way to control algae is to keep your chemistry right by regular weekly water changes and maintenance. However, even though I am rigourous with my maintenance you can still get green algae on the glass. My tank is a 180L Juwel Vison 180, and I had a common plec live in it happily for 28 years eventually getting to a length of 18 inches, so you can keep large fish in smaller tanks. Whilst he was alive I did not have a problem with algae but once he died my glass started getting covered with green algae. I then got a couple of Calico Bristlenosed Plecs and the algae problem disappeared.

Byron, I agree that the best way to control algae is to keep your chemistry right by regular weekly water changes and maintenance. However, even though I am rigourous with my maintenance you can still get green algae on the glass. My tank is a 180L Juwel Vison 180, and I had a common plec live in it happily for 28 years eventually getting to a length of 18 inches, so you can keep large fish in smaller tanks. Whilst he was alive I did not have a problem with algae but once he died my glass started getting covered with green algae. I then got a couple of Calico Bristlenosed Plecs and the algae problem disappeared.

Green algae that occurs on the glass is not a "problem" algae like black brush algae. Algae on the glass is perfectly normal, though the tank conditions can encourage or discourage it. All surfaces will have a biofilm, and algae is part of this natural biofilm. I always used a sponge-type scraper on the front glass at every water change, whether I saw algae or not (I never did, except if I let this go for three weeks, then it was obvious). This is a part of normal tank maintenance. When one has fish in an enclosed tank being fed, common algae is inevitable, but it is easily handled. I sometimes let it go on the rear wall, depending. It never became really problematic because of my moderate light, proper maintenance, etc.

I am not going to get into the common pleco issue, or we will be hijacking this thread for no purpose.

From what I can see, this is not at all safe. You cannot have fish in the tank, that is certain.
Right. You'd pull the decor and treat it. I can't believe I have to say this, but here we are: You can't fill your tank with seltzer water! Sorry, I didn't think this was a challenging concept. Who knew it was!

For those with common sense, it's a great tool for QT for plants and decor before introducing into an aquarium. It can also be used to treat decor that has problem algae on it. Give it a whirl!

Right. You'd pull the decor and treat it. I can't believe I have to say this, but here we are: You can't fill your tank with seltzer water! Sorry, I didn't think this was a challenging concept. Who knew it was!

For those with common sense, it's a great tool for QT for plants and decor before introducing into an aquarium. It can also be used to treat decor that has problem algae on it. Give it a whirl!

I have never taken decor out to deal with algae. And I will not use these snake-oil methods that do harm fish. The initial issue in this thread was black brush algae in an aquarium with fish. There is only one safe and effective way to deal with this in a planted tank with fish, and that is by establishing or restoring the light/nutrient balance.

I have never taken decor out to deal with algae. And I will not use these snake-oil methods that do harm fish. The initial issue in this thread was black brush algae in an aquarium with fish. There is only one safe and effective way to deal with this in a planted tank with fish, and that is by establishing or restoring the light/nutrient balance.
Well, what luck! I never suggested you, specifically, needed to try this technique. If it wasn't clear before, it certainly is crystal now that you have learned all you wish to know about the aquarium hobby. I will respect your stance and never suggest any new ideas directly to you. Fear not!

I did suggest that some folks might wish to try this fairly new, but pretty well tested technique. I'll admit, my background in science probably biases me to be interested in new ideas and empirical testing. But I certainly don't think that those who wish to continue to maintain their aquariums in a similar manner to balancing the humors of the body must stop doing so. They are free to operate as they see fit. And I certainly wish them luck with it! In the same vein, I'll feel free to continue to suggest tested and understood methods to deal with common aquarium issues.

Good day. Be well!

Most reactions

Back