how do i convince my parents to get me a betta pair instead of platies and guppies

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lalaoal

Reaction score
i have 2 5 gallon aquariums that can fit a betta pair better than platies and guppies, unfortunately my parents will just say that i wont take proper care of it etc etc

EDIT: forgot to say, i want to own a betta pair because i will breed them and sell the babies bacause bettas are more frequently bought in my city

If you’re a beginner I highly don’t recommend breeding. They can and they definitely will kill each other in most cases You need at least two tanks plus a breeding tank. You need to do a ton of research and understand the temperaments of your beta. I don’t recommend it at all because you will end up with at least one dead fish if you don’t know what you’re doing. If one dies or eats the fries/eggs you likely won’t have any fry at all in the end. It takes years and years of experience to get betas to breed. And breed successfully you need a strong genetics or the fry will die early on. its really dangerous for your fish If you don’t know what you’re doing. And I don’t think from what you’ve said in the context that you do understand how to breed betas or how hard they are to breed. If you don’t know what you’re doing. And I don’t think from what you’ve said in the context that you do understand how to breed betas or how hard they are to breed. start off with the guppies and platies is my recommendation

i have 2 5 gallon aquariums that can fit a betta pair better than platies and guppies, unfortunately my parents will just say that i wont take proper care of it etc etc
I would not put a pair of bettas in a 5 gallon. As it is, a 5g is the bare minimum for one betta. Also fish "pair off" in the wild so throwing two random fish together is asking for trouble.
I would also research about cycling and how to clean aquariums and weekly water changes

What species of betta? Where will you grow out the fry if you have success breeding them?

If you’re a beginner I highly don’t recommend breeding. They can and they definitely will kill each other in most cases You need at least two tanks plus a breeding tank. You need to do a ton of research and understand the temperaments of your beta. I don’t recommend it at all because you will end up with at least one dead fish if you don’t know what you’re doing. If one dies or eats the fries/eggs you likely won’t have any fry at all in the end. It takes years and years of experience to get betas to breed. And breed successfully you need a strong genetics or the fry will die early on. its really dangerous for your fish If you don’t know what you’re doing. And I don’t think from what you’ve said in the context that you do understand how to breed betas or how hard they are to breed. If you don’t know what you’re doing. And I don’t think from what you’ve said in the context that you do understand how to breed betas or how hard they are to breed. start off with the guppies and platies is my recommendation
im not a beginner, and i cant say im that good of a fish keeper at all and also i will put the two bettas in their separate 5 gallon aquariums with hiding spots just incase they want to hide, i know the basics of tank maintenance, filter maintenance, and nitrogen cycles, i have an approx 20 gallon pond for the bettas to grow into 5 month bettas in my backyard, currently unused and i have kept platies and guppies but when iam looking to sell their babies, noone buys it. and i also know the dangers if the pair isnt compatible with each other

I would not put a pair of bettas in a 5 gallon. As it is, a 5g is the bare minimum for one betta. Also fish "pair off" in the wild so throwing two random fish together is asking for trouble.
I would also research about cycling and how to clean aquariums and weekly water changes
i know most of the basics and also i said i have two 5g aquariums and i will put the pair in their separate aquariums so the female is in the other one and the male in the other one, sorry for not clearing that up:)

im not a beginner, and i cant say im that good of a fish keeper at all and also i will put the two bettas in their separate 5 gallon aquariums with hiding spots just incase they want to hide, i know the basics of tank maintenance, filter maintenance, and nitrogen cycles, i have an approx 20 gallon pond for the bettas to grow into 5 month bettas in my backyard, currently unused and i have kept platies and guppies but when iam looking to sell their babies, noone buys it. and i also know the dangers if the pair isnt compatible with each other

You know that if you raise betta fry, that the males can't be raised together, right? How will your parents feel about dozens of betta jars and a full on breeder set up if they already don't want you to have two bettas?

Ok, well now at least we know that you know about maintenance, cycling, and other things. But I seriously would not breed those guys. I have heard it is really tough. Maybe try breeding shrimp? They are pretty and breed readily.

You know that if you raise betta fry, that the males can't be raised together, right? How will your parents feel about dozens of betta jars and a full on breeder set up if they already don't want you to have two bettas?
i have a friend that is a trusted betta breeder near my area and many sells from him too and i can just give it to him since he is running out of bettas to sell and to breed

That is a good idea but most wholesalers wont take little fry. You will have to grow them and make sure they are fed 3x a day every day until they are old enough to be sold to a seller or customer. But maybe he takes fry? I doubt it though
i have a friend that is a trusted betta breeder near my area and many sells from him too and i can just give it to him since he is running out of bettas to sell and to breed

i wo
Ok, well now at least we know that you know about maintenance, cycling, and other things. But I seriously would not breed those guys. I have heard it is really tough. Maybe try breeding shrimp? They are pretty and breed readily.
i would but i dont trust myself that much in live plants and noone sells cherry shrimps or any freshwater shrimp in my area and plus the breeder that iam looking to buy from specified that they are breedable as he has breeded from that pair and has worked wonders

That is a good idea but most wholesalers wont take little fry. You will have to grow them and make sure they are fed 3x a day every day until they are old enough to be sold to a seller or customer. But maybe he takes fry? I doubt it though
yes im aware that i have to grow these fry myself for 5-6 months before i can sell them to him or to a local fish store

Give what to him? All the males?

If you want to convince your parents that you can do this, you need to think through the whole set up and plan. You need a separate tank to use as mating tank. Somewhere to rear the fry until they're old enough to tell male from female, and they can't live with either parent, so where do you raise them? Do you have spare heaters, air pumps, filters? What about fry food? Most betta breeders I know of cultivate their own live food since betta fry are so tiny. Can you realistically do that along with rearing the fry?

Once the fry are old enough to sex, each male needs it's own little set up. Have seen people use 1 litre mason jars. Can you have and maintain dozens of those for the months it takes to raise them to rehoming age?

i wo

i would but i dont trust myself that much in live plants and noone sells cherry shrimps or any freshwater shrimp in my area and plus the breeder that iam looking to buy from specified that they are breedable as he has breeded from that pair and has worked wonders
If you search on eBay "live shrimp" there are private sellers that are selling them for good prices... And get some anubias and floating type plants (they dont die). Also get some river rocks and wood. Then boom shrimp heaven

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back