How About A Tetra Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

metweezer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of different species of Tetra out there and I was wondering if they all get along with each other. I would love to have a Tetra tank only if it was possible.  
fish.gif

In the past I kept a number of tetras together with absolutely no issues at all. I kept cardinals, black phantoms, serpaes, pristellas and black neons. I was a bit inexperienced at the time and only had like max 4 of each which doesn't really make for a pretty tank though lol.

"Tetra" can include dozens of species of characin, and most will get along but there are exceptions.  Some can be real nasty, fin nipping and worse.

Tetra are shoaling fish, meaning they live in groups of hundreds of their species.  They should be kept in groups in the aquarium, six is usually considered minimum for a species, though some need a few more (the "nippy" ones especially).  

Most species will always show more interesting natural behaviours in larger groups; there is a real difference between say three or four and a group of eight or nine.

If your tank is a 20g, I would stay with one or at most two species, depending what they are.  Some need room to swim, others are more sedate.

Byron.

I have 24 rummy-nosed tetra's and they generally split into two groups and use different parts of the tank. Nevertheless, they all still get on and don't worry the few diamond tetra's or the (last) single black phantom tetra. So I would say that generally tetra's get on so long as there are a lot of them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back