House

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

RandomWiktor

Rabid Betta Activist
Reaction score
My sister has recently developed an obsession with the show House, and convinced me to watch the first season. While I think it is somewhat predictable - person comes in with illness, illness turns out to be something that wasn't expected, House does something that pisses people off, patients' life is saved - I do think it deserves credit for having an extremely novel approach to a protagonistic character. Dr. House is clearly the "hero" of the show, constantly saving lives and proving a move valuable doctor than any other. Yet he isn't your typical suave, handsome, cuddly, romantic, altruistic character. Quite to the contrary, he's bitter, getting on in years, not particularly attractive, crippled, addicted to painkillers, and flat out rude, grating, inconsiderate, and misanthropic. He really lacks almost any redeeming quality; even his dedication to finding the source of an illness seems to be based more in his own interest in "solving the puzzle" than in saving the life. While the show does let little bits of his personality and 'tender side' peek through every now and again, it is even then quite awkward and different from the social norm.
So, anyone else a fan or watcher of House? Have any comments about the show, or about Dr. House himself? Do discuss.

i can't watch that
it's not right with Hugh Laurie's fake american accent

i've grown up seeing him in british comedy with Stephen Fry and Rowan Atkinson.

IT'S JUST NOT RIGHT!

blkgeorge.JPG

blackadder <3

Only seen a small bit of one show and it looks OK.

I like Hugh Laurie, I think he's been very underrated in the past, put he's not done that many decent programs, he was very good when teamed up with Stephen Fry. It is a bit dissapointing he has put an american accent on for House though, but maybe he'll get credit now.

Arfie

I love House. I think its really interesting - and i used to have the biggest crush on Jesse Spencer when he was in Neighbours (how embarrassing is that?! :lol: ) I like House being nasty rather than all sweet and nice as he seems to be getting in the last couple of episodes - He's funny when he's being rude to patients! :D

I love Hugh Laurie, even with the annoying American accent, and if i wasn't so broke i'd buy the first season box set which has just come out over here! :D

We wouldn't watch it. Dan and I just can't bear people doing fake accents and I couldn't take him seriously as a mean moody American doctor having seen him do his "Oh Amy!" and "wanton trolloping sauce bottle" scenes.
Nah.

Oh my goodness!! I absolutely love House! Im actually watching it right now lol! I havent seen him in anything other thank Stuart Little (lol, imagine that :p) so I cant really comment on his accent, other than that I love it!! He is great. I cant bear to wait three whole weeks for the next episode!! Ahhh!!!

Hi..my wife watches House and she is addicted to the show. However, being a physician, I can't stand it. Although I understand the fascination such as described by RandomWiktor (and your description of him is near perfect) of this personality type as a doctor, the presentation of the diseases and method of diagnosis are purely fictitious.

In real life:

-residents cannot possibly do any of the tests they are depicted as doing in the show
-physicians are not allowed to practice while under the influence of narcotics
-House's methodology of diagnosis is ludicrous
-stabbing patients with hypodermic syringes/rough treatment of patients would NEVER be accepted

In essence, House would never be allowed to practice in real life. However, don't go by any of this post. When you come home from doing this 'stuff' all day long, you dont' want to watch another hour of it on TV. ( I never saw a single episode of ER from start to finish)

SH

Oh, I agree fully; the things he does with his patients are things I wouldn't even be allowed to do to a dog as a vet tech. The show is definately far fetched, though what on television isn't these days? I personally find the plot to be very redundant, but I do find him to be a rather captivating character. ;)

Most reactions

Back