"hospital tank"

bigmick474

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
How big should a hospital/quarantine tank be?
Does it need a filtr, heater and lights?
I'm planning in keeping Mbuna cichlids.
Thanks

Qurantine tank need all the fittings, hospital tank don't always need a filter depends on the med you are using, but it's best to get one.
10gal depends on which fish you keep, if you keep larger fish then more than a ten gal.

Yep indeed - and yes it certainly should absolutley have a filter and a heater. I run a small spare filter in my one tank so that I can easily pull it out for a while for the hospital tank (if need be) and the little extra filtration is good in the normal tank too :)

I don't actually have a clue one big one of those chaps get (Mbunas), but a tank that would easily house one of those would be fine as a spare.

A hospital tank should be large enough to house your largest fish or big enough to house all the other fish and leave the largest one behind. You can run the filter for the hospital tank in your main tank hidden away at the back somewhere, this way you can put the hospital tank away when not in use but still have a fully cycled filter to use if the need arises to set up the hospital.

CFC said:
A hospital tank should be large enough to house your largest fish or big enough to house all the other fish and leave the largest one behind. You can run the filter for the hospital tank in your main tank hidden away at the back somewhere, this way you can put the hospital tank away when not in use but still have a fully cycled filter to use if the need arises to set up the hospital.
Thats a nice idea though I can't imagine having to keep a 40+ Gallon tank running all the time empty.

That's not what he meant :p He said to run the spare hospital filter in a main tank, and just store away the hospital tank until (and if needed). Then you can just take out the spare filter and put it in the hospital tank when needed.

Actually i have various spare tanks ranging from 20 to 75 gallons, even my largest fish can be placed into a 48x18x21" for a short while should the need arise.

Most reactions

Back