Hose clamps with wing nuts for canister filters

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Utar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Yesterday while attempting to take the hoses off my canister filter for cleaning, I had a problem. The long plastic rings that screw down holding the hoses, would not come off. Like the ones in this picture.
Orginal Rings holding hoses to canister filter.jpg
I had to Dremel them off. cutting them in half. I went to a local O'Reilly's Auto Parts for hose clamps and I picked up the ones with wing nuts and found they work really well. I don't have to use tools.
Hose Clamps with Wing Nuts on Canister Filter.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you found a better alternative!
Thank You. In the future when I set up a new canister filter, I will not use the plastic rings for holding the hose ends, instead, I will use these hose clamps.

Let me guess; it’s a sun sun filter, I thought I’m the only one!
FC56BB2A-52CA-4638-994F-BC8D2C2CAB0B.jpeg

I bought 2 and mine broke the first time I’m trying to clean the hose and have to bought the clamp for all of them :/

That’s the standard attachment method in fluval fx series

Let me guess; it’s a sun sun filter, I thought I’m the only one!View attachment 135786

I bought 2 and mine broke the first time I’m trying to clean the hose and have to bought the clamp for all of them :/
Yep its a Sunsun, I have used hose clamps before but had not discovered the ones with the wing nuts until recently.

Have used similar outdoors in the UK. Eventually the wings went brittle and snapped. Good news is they were wrapped around standard hex heads so a spanner was all it took to undo. May even have been slotted too.

Have used similar outdoors in the UK. Eventually the wings went brittle and snapped. Good news is they were wrapped around standard hex heads so a spanner was all it took to undo. May even have been slotted too.
I figured these have standard hex nuts with slots and in case the plastic wing nuts do break then tools can be used. But until that happens the wing nuts make these very easy and convenient to use. I try and not to over-tighten causing undue stress on the plastic wing nuts.

Most reactions

trending

Back