Hoplo Catfish And Aquarium Salt?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LucyB

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Can I treat my ill hoplo catfish with aquarium salt? I understand corydoras cannot tolerate aquarium salt, but does this also spply to Hoplo catfish? Also, when using medication, do I need to half the reccomended dose or anything? Thanks :)

Can I treat my ill hoplo catfish with aquarium salt? I understand corydoras cannot tolerate aquarium salt, but does this also spply to Hoplo catfish? Also, when using medication, do I need to half the reccomended dose or anything? Thanks :)
I've read that if it's related to being unable to eliminate excess fluids, it is recommended to use Epsom salt, as aquarium salt might overwork the kidneys and kill the fish.
But since it's just what I've read online, I don't know how true this is.

That depends what you're treating?

Honestly, I don't know what it is. I posted a thread asking anyone for ideas but no one is replying! :sad:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/392120-red-blobs-on-hoplo-catfish/page__p__3294379__fromsearch__1#entry3294379

I've read that if it's related to being unable to eliminate excess fluids, it is recommended to use Epsom salt, as aquarium salt might overwork the kidneys and kill the fish.

Thanks, I decided not to use salt, I don't want to risk it :crazy: But I got some Melafix today and put her in a 27 litre on her own. Hopefully that should sort it out :good:

Thanks, I decided not to use salt, I don't want to risk it :crazy: But I got some Melafix today and put her in a 27 litre on her own. Hopefully that should sort it out :good:
Isn't that for fin damage? Or does it say it works for every kind of lesion?
Also, I don't know if Hoplo classifies as a labyrinth breather or not, but they breathe air too (though they use their guts to consume it).
Someone said that bettas might get problems if you use melafix on them due to the labyrinth organ. Hope it doesn't affect hoplos' air breathing that way too.
If it does, might need to halve the dose.

Also, I don't know if Hoplo classifies as a labyrinth breather or not, but they breathe air too (though they use their guts to consume it).
Someone said that bettas might get problems if you use melafix on them due to the labyrinth organ. Hope it doesn't affect hoplos' air breathing that way too.

It says "a safe way to treat open red sores, fin and tail rot, eye cloud, pop eye, body slime and mouth fungus, and open body wounds" and it also says "Melafix is for even the most delicate fish species, live plants, marine fishs and reef aquariums containing invertebrates" And also, it says to use 5ml, so I used 3ml, just to be safe :good:

EDIT: Also, I don't know what I am treating exactly. It looks like red sores on her gills, but I don't know what that is called. I asked on this forum but no one replied :sad:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/392120-red-blobs-on-hoplo-catfish/page__p__3294379__fromsearch__1#entry3294379

It says "a safe way to treat open red sores, fin and tail rot, eye cloud, pop eye, body slime and mouth fungus, and open body wounds" and it also says "Melafix is for even the most delicate fish species, live plants, marine fishs and reef aquariums containing invertebrates" And also, it says to use 5ml, so I used 3ml, just to be safe :good:

EDIT: Also, I don't know what I am treating exactly. It looks like red sores on her gills, but I don't know what that is called. I asked on this forum but no one replied :sad:

Do they look like this?
anchorworm.jpg

Although this says it's made by anchorworms.

Do they look like this?
anchorworm.jpg

No,they are smaller, and have dissapeared from her body, and are now just on her gills :blink: I have already spent hours on google trying to find answers or pictures that look like it, but I can't find any! I will try to get a picture

Do they look like this?
anchorworm.jpg

No,they are smaller, and have dissapeared from her body, and are now just on her gills :blink: I have already spent hours on google trying to find answers or pictures that look like it, but I can't find any! I will try to get a picture
If they disappeared from the body, maybe they are healing.
On the gills do you mean on the operculum?
A pic might be best to identify it if someone around here knows about the disease. I hope she gets better.

"True" Hoplos (Megalechis thoracta) are much more salt tolerant than Corydoras, they can be found in brackish water. I recently added 1g/l of Sainsburys Coarse Sea Salt to my Rio240 (raising the salt level in 0.25g/l steps over 4 days) to help my Hypoptopoma catfish with a grey patch, with no problems for the Hoplos.

"True" Hoplos (Megalechis thoracta) are much more salt tolerant than Corydoras, they can be found in brackish water. I recently added 1g/l of Sainsburys Coarse Sea Salt to my Rio240 (raising the salt level in 0.25g/l steps over 4 days) to help my Hypoptopoma catfish with a grey patch, with no problems for the Hoplos.
So sea salt can be used in the case of Hoplo constipation too? (I don't have any fancy sea salt, just simple sea salt, the kind that tastes salty-sweet).
Mine has some digestive problems and symptoms seem to vary according to diet. Flakes will bloat and constipate him while bloodworms will cause him to be unable to digest properly and expel whole bloodworms sometimes.

Epsom Salts are well known to help fish with constipation, it has a slightly different chemical composition to sea salt (magnesium rather than sodium), I cannot tell you how that compares to aquarium salt as I have yet to buy any (I don't recall ever reading about aquarium salt being a cure for constipation, but I would not bet my life on it).

Epsom Salts are well known to help fish with constipation, it has a slightly different chemical composition to sea salt (magnesium rather than sodium), I cannot tell you how that compares to aquarium salt as I have yet to buy any (I don't recall ever reading about aquarium salt being a cure for constipation, but I would not bet my life on it).
It seems like they call Epsom salt "bitter salt" here. I'll probably get some of it next time I get money, depending on what I'll need to buy for the tank besides some test kits. (although rumor has it that my country has interdicted it from pharmacies for some reason)
Aquarium salt can cause kidney problems if the fish already suffers from something related to that and idk what it does in case of constipation, probably nothing. Against bacteria it is useful though.

Just thought I'd add that I combined the 1g/l salt (I did not want to risk raising towards 3g/l because the tank has four Pyjama Synodontis in there, which are "scaleless") with full dose Myxazin.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back