Hooray! Finally Did The Gravel

Jpmc™

Fish Crazy
Joined
Apr 30, 2009
Messages
224
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Watching fish.
After months with acrylic rocks, I've finally changed it to gravel!
I snagged my grandmother into buying it, and in return, all I had to do was wash her car.

Now, after 2 and a half hours of

1: Taking out the stupid acrylic rocks and decorations with hidden poop flying everywhere messing up the tank water
2: Taking out a water change which sucked. (About 15-20%)
3: Cleaning the glass which just made that crappy brown algae float to the top
4: Doing another water change because of the stupid stuff (Only about 5% this time)
5: Getting a big mouthful of water (Stupid siphon)
6: Getting the gravel ready (WHICH SUCKED)
7: Throwing gravel in and picking out little cruds at the top while trying to swat my fish away from eating them
8: SUPPER BREAK
9: Throwing some more gravel in
10: Evening out the gravel
11: Taking out the decorations of the sink and adding them
12: Chucking out those stupid acrylic rocks
13: Finding a dish for the extra gravel
14: Cleaning the house
15: Changing my socks

It's done. with a nice white texture.

Before:
1zqcyug.jpg



After:
axxu8g.jpg


(The before picture was a really old one, decorations were changed since then)

GRAVEL QUESTION: Will the gravel help filtration any?
 
2 and half hours isn't bad. I reckon if you had skipped step 15 you could have done it in 90 minutes tops ;)

Its a good step forwards from the "natural" acrylis look. If you don't run undergravel filtration then it won't effect your filtering much. Only thing is the biological bacteria in your previous stones has been removed...not sure whether this will make too much of a difference though. Depends on the size of your filter i think. It'll start to build up in the gravel again.

Other smarter people will tell you for sure. I remember someone telling me to keep my old substrate in some tights in the tank for a week after changing over :/ .
 
Hahahaha. Doesn't take me an hour to change socks :D

Well, when I get back from Newfoundland with my new tank, I will be overfiltering for sure.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top