Honey gourami breeding questions.

He is just putting a few bubbles in each leaf ??. I don't know if that's what they are supposed to do but the bubble best doesn't look like the ones my Betta was making.
That is what they love to bring their bubble nest. Firt the female then male finalises the nest.
These are the best pictures I could take since he doesn't stand still.
Good pics !
there were tiny bubble nests scattered around
Female's work.

Hi, after they spawn it is best to remove the female. Only the males show parental care so it's best to remove her to avoid any conflict, she is also more likely to eat the fry.
Honey fry are very very small and will need something tiny to feed on. Adding some live plants like Anacharis to cultivate micro organisms would be a good idea, the floating plants may be enough but the micro organisms are reliant on surface area.
You might want to look up how to start a infusoria culture now. Later the larger fry should be able to eat vinegar eels. Just remember Honey fry are very small and take a long time to grow, this is what makes them somewhat though to spawn and raise successfully. I wish you luck and hope you keep us updated ?.

Don't you think brine shrimp is also a good food ?

Don't you think brine shrimp is also a good food ?
Not for a while, baby brine shrimp will be too big, it'll be around 10 or so days after they are free swimming before they will be able to eat them. So around day 13 or 14 after they hatch.
You'll also want to make sure there is a cover on the tank, it is important with Gourami fry that the air is warm and damp for the labyrinth organ to develop well. Keeping the tank in a warm room helps and avoid drafts when feeding or doing water changes.

Well, the bubble nests are gone and he has chased her away a couple of times. They are both around 1.1inch, maybe they are not ready yet and I panicked for no reason. He is still trying to make bubbles and gets frustrated a bit. They should be okay in the main 18g though once I move them in 10 days, unless they surprise me by that time.

Well as they are in QT I think it's better he didn't get off with her.
How long will you keep them in QT ?

How long will you keep them in QT ?
They look pretty healthy to me, so maybe 2 weeks total. I got them last Friday, so 10 more days left. Their waste looks normal, no nipped fins or fin rot, no external parasites and their wight and colours are normal too.

No, but they don't look skinny or obese. :)
My question can seem weird but not this much as I "train" my fishes to accept handling. Believe me it much eases life in case of smear treatment, cut (rot) fins....

I had to cut my Betta's rotten fins a few months after his purchase. Luckily I teached him to come and eat in my hand, giving him treat each time we did this. After that I added catappa leaf in his tank. I kept him 7 years !

Another update!!!! He is still chasing her once in a while, but she is not swimming away immediately, he also tries to go closer and wiggles his tail.

Do you have something like a mosquito net or any very thin net ? If yes try to separate them with it. He won't be able to harass her while he will keep on seeing her.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back