Honey Gourami And Bolivian Rams

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bolivian_d

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

I have my eye on stocking my 75L (20 gallon) AquaOne 510 tank with 3 Honey Gourami's and 2 Bolivian Ram's. Both species can be held in my size tank. Both are largely peaceful community fish. Both enjoy the same water Paramaters. The only downside is that they can both be territorial. However, I've rationalised that the Honey Gourami's will generally inhibit the top half of the tank and the Bolivians will typically inhibit the lower half. I have plenty of hiding spaces (driftwood, caves and rocks) and my tank is well on the way to becoming heavily planted.

I know it's not the perfect choice but it's the combination that I'd really like to have. Saying that, I just want confirmation that they won't tear each other to shreds.

Cheers,

Don

They are only territorial when they are breeding. When the Rams breed they lay their eggs in little holes in the subtrate the have made and become bitterly territorial to the point of ramming other fish that come close.

When they are not breeding, the ones i have got live peacefully with each other. The are both very beautiful fish.

With the Rams you will need to do very regular water changes, 20% every few days should be fine to keep them happy.

No problems with those at all - althought bolivian rams are hardier than the blue rams, you will need to keep your nitrates as low as possible, with maybe 2x weekly water changes, preferably keeping nitrates below 20ppm :good:

Try to get one male honey to 2 female if possible :)

Hey,

I have my eye on stocking my 75L (20 gallon) AquaOne 510 tank with 3 Honey Gourami's and 2 Bolivian Ram's. Both species can be held in my size tank. Both are largely peaceful community fish. Both enjoy the same water Paramaters. The only downside is that they can both be territorial. However, I've rationalised that the Honey Gourami's will generally inhibit the top half of the tank and the Bolivians will typically inhibit the lower half. I have plenty of hiding spaces (driftwood, caves and rocks) and my tank is well on the way to becoming heavily planted.

I know it's not the perfect choice but it's the combination that I'd really like to have. Saying that, I just want confirmation that they won't tear each other to shreds.

Cheers,

Don
from my point of view, there are no problems here. i have both in my tank, and as you say, they inhabit different sections of the tank. i cant comment on the species specific instructions offered here, except to say, i do nothing specific to my tank of either. 25%-30% weekly water changes and regular feeding is all.

I have a male dwarf flame gourami and 2 breeding German rams along with other fish in a 3 foot tank and they all get along fine. The only problem occurs when the rams lay eggs in the gouramis half of the tank. When they do that there is a scuffle but nothing serious!

Hey guys,

I have a stocking question.

Can I add a bristlenose catfish to my tank? Going by the inch/gallon rule I'm in the clear. On the other hand, it's not a good measure but it's the best we've got. I know that it's compatible... but do you think one bristlenose, three honey gourami's and two bolivians will be ok in a 20G tank?

If so, does that make me well and truly fully stocked?

Most reactions

trending

Back